Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38-YS637S Carb question
RT-70 & other radios... Stencilling
Willys Service Bulletins 1945-1951
P.C.V Baffle
Rubber washers on F134 valve cover by
Adding pictures to post
Early M38 light switch resistor value
Painting the Block
Fitting exhaust Manifold
M38 no start condition

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - RMC Engine
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RMC Engine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocwd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: RMC Engine Reply with quote

This past week end, I stripped my RMC engine down to the bare block and it is at the engine shop at the moment. This particular RMC engine was part of a generator set.

When I first got the engine I tested compression and all 4 cylinders were a bit low at 75-85 psi. After adding a few tablespoons of oil to each cylinder, the compression shot up to about 125 psi. I noticed that all 4 pistons were missing the top ring. Was it common for generators to have this top ring missing? Did the generator operate at a lower compression.

This turned out to be an extremely nice engine. The cylinders are the original size and based on my measurements, shouldn't need to be bored. I sent it off to the engine shop anyway so the professionals could have a look at it. When I get it back i'll have a nice clean engine block. Very Happy
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top groove is not for a ring. It's a heat dispersing groove.

Power plant engines usually are found in nice shape. Only caution is be sure you have a full size jeep intake manifold. Some gen sets used a rather small one.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
ocwd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: RMC Engine Reply with quote

Thanks Wes. The intake that I took off this engine does look smaller. I had planned on using the intake that came off my old GPW engine.
ocwd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: RMC Engine Reply with quote

Wes,

what is the nomenclature for the gen set using the L134 engine. I still have all of the bolt-on parts from this engine. I would like to sell them but I need to do some research first.

Dave
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe one was the PE-95 or PE-195. Too many numbers in this business!

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
ocwd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: RMC Engine Reply with quote

Thanks Wes. I'll check it out.

Dave
ocwd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Generator Reply with quote

Wes,

Just in case you ever need info on these generators, here is a link with PDF manuals:

http://ronfoo.com/generator.html

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: