Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 no start condition
Wanted: L-134 crankshaft
Looking for M38 seat cover pattern
Wanted: Browning M2 MK-23 Mount
Adjusting Tappits
Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Rear main bearing cap packing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rear main bearing cap packing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oland

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Rear main bearing cap packing Reply with quote

This is a question about the two round 3/8" rubber rods that fit in the rear main bearing cap. P/N WO-637790.

First question is: What is the function? Is it only a positioning part or has it also got an oil sealing function?

I tried to push it down the hole after mounting the cap but it was impossible. Then I did a mistake and tried to put in place together with the cap and by doing this I ruined one of the rods.

The diameter of my rods is .38". The holes are .37. I found this picture:

http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules/gallery/albums/album134/G503_637790_Main_Bearing_Cap_Packing_low_res_001.sized.jpg

which shows the diameter is supposed to be between .366 to .370 so I guess that explains my trouble, my packings are too thick.

With respect to my first question; can I make a new rod out of e.g. PTFE? That would be possible to turn in my lathe. Or does it have to be rubber?

(I searched the forum for discussions about these packings but I could not find anything written about them.)

/Oland
53a1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished my engine a few weeks ago and from what I saw they should be a little smaller than the hole in the bearing cap. They are used to seal between the cap and the block and when you tighten down the oil pan it seals. I don't use RTV very often but in this case I coated the seal RTV and pushed it down. This forces some of the RTV into the gap between the block and cap.

As far as my results, I used the rope seal that came with the kit and the RTV and I have zero leaks from the rear after an hour of run time. We will see how things go after time progresses.

As far as alternative materials, I don't know. Probably a rope seal would work if you go the RTV route. If you are like me I have a lot of old gasket marterials laying around and would use something I have on hand.
Oland

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you 53a1.

I now understand how they are supposed to work, by compression. I can say the previous motor restoration missed that, as the rods were cut flush with the block.

OK, so this morning I managed to first repair the damaged rods as they were badly cut by my improper tries earlier. I glued them with Superglue which is very effective on rubber.

Secondly I managed to grind down the diameter by putting the rods in my lathe, run it slow (100rpm) and grind off the necessary amount by wrapping some coarse (80) sandpaper around the turning rod. It worked perfect! The rods now can be pushed down easily.

I cut them off so they protrude 1/4" as per the book and I will use some RTV this afternoon to finally put them in position.

Let's hope it works Smile
53a1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should work fine. There's not much to them. Remember to double check everything before you put the pan back on. One thing about the f-134 is they have floating bearing caps (no posistioning pins like on the L6-226. Remember to bring the crank up against the front bearing before you snug down the caps then set your end play. The cj3b page has a good engine tutorial and that's one of the sources I used.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: