Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 no start condition
Wanted: L-134 crankshaft
Looking for M38 seat cover pattern
Wanted: Browning M2 MK-23 Mount
Adjusting Tappits
Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Lamp Sockets
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lamp Sockets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
idiocrates

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Lamp Sockets Reply with quote

I'm trying to do some repair work on the electrical system in my a1. Has anyone ever found a source for replacement light bulb sockets like the ones in the front grill of the a1? I'm not to concerned about the flat mounting plate in the rear of the fixture but the socket that mounts on that plate.....[img]
front_lamp_socket by idiocrates, on Flickr[/img]
I've tried most of the normal automotive places like NAPA and O-Reilly's, and Grainger and several local body shops.....with no real luck so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

'?? - M38A-1
acengraver

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are on ebay right now and look like they could be adapted.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-Single-Contact-Light-Bulb-Sockets-/350652529596?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222001%26algo%3DSIC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D3805011562855123150%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D350626735014%26
RICKG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, I converted mine to a double filament set-up so i could
run turn signals so i have the 2 original set-ups, clean and ready
to bolt in. PM me if interested.
Fes001

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/empty-bases-sockets/ba15-base-wired-sockets/171/

Try these...
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll want the BAY15D socket with two contacts and offset pin slots.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
idiocrates

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, gentlemen......these are the exact sockets I've been looking at. All I need to do is confirm the distance between the screw holes. even if they don't fit exactly I figure I can always make a small plate that spans the holes in the fixture and screw these sockets to the plate.

I wasn't planning on adding turn indicators to the jeep since it'll never be put on a public road so I'll just stick with the single element socket. I've been toying with the idea of leaving the existing BO covers and lenses on the fixtures and simply removing the shutters.....then put a high intensity orange led bulb in the base and see what it looks like.

Thanks, everyone, for the helpful suggestions.

'?? - M38A-1
timjuhl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Lamps Reply with quote

When I restored my Jeep I modified the front and rear lights to allow for the use of turn signals without changing the outward appearance of the vehicle. I removed the masks from the front lights and replaced the badly corroded sockets with ones I made by modifying a lamp socket designed to snap in over a license plate. I simply bent the "ears" over, snipped off the excess and drilled holes the proper distance apart. I then removed the single contact electrical connector and replaced it with a dual contact unit. While I'm sure there are other lamp sockets that would work, these were readily available and easy to modify. One plus, the length of the tabs made it easy to adjust the socket position so it would clear the back of the lamp unit when installed. I modified the wiring so the turn signals are functional anytime the master electrical switch is "on" and have it set so the dimmer of the two front filaments goes on with the headlights.

I am pleased with the result - while the lamps are not as bright as modern units they do show up, especially in dim light. I still use hand signals but all the time I wonder who nowadays would even know what the signals mean...

Tim

Fes001

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, can you post a pic from the rea of the light? Thanks

Jeff
timjuhl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Lamps Reply with quote

Jeff,
I'm not sure if I got what you asked for but here is a Pix.

There is a rubber plug that is placed in the hole from inside the lamp assembly. Part of the problem in making a new socket is adjusting the depth the socket goes into the lamp assembly as it must clear the rubber plug when installed.

If you don't have the rubber plug, you could probably make one from a rubber stopper (cork) obtainable from a better hardware store.

If you wanted to see something else, let me know what it is and I'll see if I have anything. The lamp is installed and I've published pretty much all the pix I took of the conversion process.

Tim
Xamon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original socket has that second piece of metal that actualy presses the seal in place, did you put that in behind yours?
timjuhl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Lamp socket Reply with quote

Xamon,
I'm not sure if your question was for me but I'll answer anyway. It was originally my intention to use the piece you mentioned by nesting the new unit in it but in the end I simply installed the new socket. There is no danger of the rubber plug coming out, in fact, the base of the new socket serves pretty much the same purpose that the original piece did. Since the wires move slightly when the bulb is removed, you have to allow a slight amount of slack for that purpose. Where the wires protrude from the rubber plug I sealed the hole with a small amount of black silicone.

Tim
Xamon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup thats exactly what I was asking Tim. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Wanted All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: