Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 no start condition
Wanted: L-134 crankshaft
Looking for M38 seat cover pattern
Wanted: Browning M2 MK-23 Mount
Adjusting Tappits
Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - 1952 M38A1 Project
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1952 M38A1 Project
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
onabeach

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: 1952 M38A1 Project Reply with quote

This is an M38A1 project that I am forced to sell because I can't find anyone to do the bodywork needed for a reasonable amount. This is a nearly complete 24V M38A1 jeep project with the correct military components. The engine runs good; has the YS carb, matching 24V Delco starter, generator, mechanical voltage regulator, and ignitor. Also has the expensive shielded spark plug wires. The radiator and gas tank have been cleaned out and don't leak. Have the muffler, but could use new pipes. The brakes have been rebuilt with new lines, the trans, transfer, diff all are in great shape; steering is tight. The wiring harness has been repaired with the correct metal shell connectors; includes new rear blackout lights and a solid state turn signal kit. The front seat frames have the original spring bottoms and back, and include a new set of o.d canvas covers and padding. Also included is an aluminum hard top.

I have 2 bodies for it. The primary body has been sandblasted and primed. The second doner body has usable rear panels to repair the primary body. It also has a good cowl and battery box, not needed in the primary body. Windshield, fenders and hood are included. New replacement hat channels and front floors are included if you choose to replace them. Also have NOS trans cover.

I have a nice RT 68 radio set for it. It includes the mount and a PRC-10 portable radio with the rare AN-598-U amp/power supply for it. I will sell the radio set for an additional $350. Also have a gas fired heater kit (with a second incomplete kit) for $100.

The data plates and s/n plate are present, and have a WI title for the jeep. This would be the perfect project for some who can do body work (or knows someone who can), and includes most of those items that can nickel and dime you to death. $2885 Call Bob at 608-658-2523 for more info

[img]
38a by Onabeach, on Flickr[/img]
[img]
38b by Onabeach, on Flickr[/img]
[img]
38c by Onabeach, on Flickr[/img]
[img]
38d by Onabeach, on Flickr[/img]
[img]
38d2 by Onabeach, on Flickr[/img]
[img]
38d3 by Onabeach, on Flickr[/img]
[img]
38f by Onabeach, on Flickr
[/img]
MODIFIED

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pardon my glutton for salvage... but for the price your asking for your almost complete 38A1, why not continue to shop around for competent body work. IMO.

I think you've earned the right to at least (drive) appreciate the work you've put in.
Phil4280

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If shipping to Australia wasn.t such a headake i'd buy it in a heat beat!

Phil...
Latest addition M38A1 date e
onabeach

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe me, I have. If you are not well heeled or well insured, body shops won't give you the time of day around here. I took it out to one promising shop and it sat for two months. Never returned my calls.
Yes, very discouraging because I'd love to see how it drives. I was tempted to throw on a seat and gas tank and take it for a spin!!
rgmutchler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered contacting the vocational shop at one of the local high schools. They are usually pretty slow but sometimes they will do a project for little or no labor costs, maybe a donation, to give the kids experience in on hands body work.
http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=rgmutchler&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
MODIFIED

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgmutchler wrote:
Have you considered contacting the vocational shop at one of the local high schools. They are usually pretty slow but sometimes they will do a project for little or no labor costs, maybe a donation, to give the kids experience in on hands body work.

there you go.

It sucks to see people invest their sweat, $, patience and sometimes family towards a passion that deprives themselves to enjoy by a hiccup. Don't let that dispirit and marginalize the value your progress.

also, check your local craigslist under "services" or your local MV club.
I'm sure you'll find a solution. the pleasure of starting "her" up for the first time is priceless!!!!
onabeach

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea, or so I thought. I talked with the automotive instructor at the local trade school, and he said that the majority of work at body shops now is with plastic, not metal, and definitely not welding high quality 18g sheet metal. It would be a waste of students time, he said.
So another dead end. The project is still for sale.
BullRun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your physically able I would suggest that you give the body work a try. It is technical work but with patience and time anybody can learn how to do it. Just start small filling holes and go from there. After a few weeks it won't appear so duanting. All the tools needed 'are readily available and there are lots of books to show how to do it. By next spring youll be driving your jeep.

Take a welding class to learn how to work correctly and the jeep body will look very simple to repair (which it is), It is mostly the right technique and patience.

A bodyshop guy with over 20 years experience once told me "Whatever works, works" So whatever you do it might be the same solution you would of paid some one else to do who has years of experience.
evanso1975

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The college local to me (in the UK) does evening classes on a variety of subjects, including sheet metal work, welding etc.

Do the colleges local to you offer anything similar? After all the good work you've done to that jeep, it would be a shame to let it go.....

1951 US Air Force M38
1944 F-1 1/2-ton Airdrome Trailer
1940 C15 Chevrolet CMP 11-cab
1939 DKW KS200 Motorcycle
MVT # 19406
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know well how frustrating it is to have a project take entirely too long. I was about 4 years into mine and making extremely slow progress. Then I joined the local MV club and after a lot of "Let's get moving taunts I actually got moving. Not real fast mind you and I too am not crazy about body work and definately not a painter. A little wangling and trading and lo and behold the body is done, painted and mounted on the finished rolling chassis thanks to a lot of really great guys in a great MV club up her in Northern Wisconsin. . I have an engine on my stand and a tranny and transfer on the bench all soon to be finished.

Have you talked with a few of the Midwest MV club folks about a little team effort?

On the local Vo-Tech angle Hal Moore finished his Air Force M38 by taking the welding and metal working class and using the jeep as his project.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, that's Hal Miller...

and yes I took a welding class just to learn to burn steel as we called it...

I finished my M-38 CDN and went on to win several trophies... including he 2007 MVPA Motor Pool class for my M-38... (I will admit there was not much compition that year Smile)

I am now working on a '51 Willys Station wagon and getting ready to replace both rear quarter panels...

I am 55 and not a super body man; but with a little practice you can make it work...

Check out the local Votech and see what they have for a welding program after hours, mine was Mon / Wed nights for 3 hours per night for 8 weeks. Cost to me was $150 per semester and in the end priceless as I could do my restorations at home instead of taking them out somewhere...

I hope this helps as your body is in great shape compared to mine...

If you want to talk give me a PM or email, links at the bottom of the page...

Later...
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Hal. How could I confuse an USAF Comm guy with an Army Air Cav Col. Embarassed

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
onabeach

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, for all your support and suggestions. I tried welding; bought a MIG welder and just couldn't do it. The main problem is that my work involved working around high voltage. So every time there was even a small spark or flash, I would instinctively jump away. So you could imagine how nervous and shaky I was while welding!
I've heard gas welding is not as good a choice as MIG welding for sheet metal, and obtaining the cylinders for home use is now a bit complicated and expensive.
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOLD

It now resides in Oklahoma... Very Happy

BTW; Robert, hood numbers are under yellow paint... just need to sand them out to find what they are...
onabeach

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you and the jeep got home safe and sound. Its got a great new home, and I'm sure the restoration will be much better then I could ever do.
After its military service it ended up in a northeast Wisconsin municipality. Wes may know of any bases around that area. Have fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> For Sale All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: