Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 no start condition
Wanted: L-134 crankshaft
Looking for M38 seat cover pattern
Wanted: Browning M2 MK-23 Mount
Adjusting Tappits
Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - My little summer project
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My little summer project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Announcements, News, Humor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbjeeps

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: My little summer project Reply with quote

Well, I still don't have the distributor in the A1 fixed. But, I've been dang busy on my little summer project.

Our son-in-law recently purchased the family farm from his dad. Among the old equipment he got are 4 1/2 (4 complete, one for parts) Deuce and a half 6x6 trucks. Two 1954 M220's, one M211 (year?), one 1966 Kaiser Jeep M35A2, plus the parts truck, another M211.

He's asked me to get them running for him this summer. Once I do, he'll decide whether to use them on the farm or sell them and put the $$ towards other needed equip.

Three of these trucks have old potato beds on them. The M35A2 has a flatbed. His dad and grandfather used them years ago. They haven't run in 15 - 20 years or more. From what I can tell, they were all converted by Boyce Equipment in Utah.

The M220's (one engine free, one engine stuck) still have the GMC straight 6 engines. Automatic transmissions have been removed and replaced by Clark V205 5 speeds. M211 has a small block chevy w/ 5 speed. M35A2 (multifuel) appears all stock and all there. Haven't spent much time on it yet.

Here's some pics. I've also started three different threads on Steel Soldiers. Been getting lots of good help from the guys there. I'll put the links to those threads after the pics for those who are interested.

Jack

Pulling Boyce #1 out of the cellar after 10-15 years. Son-in-law and granddaughter in the 4630. Got this truck running the other day.

M220 #1. This one's just about ready to fire up. Still need to clean out the gas tank.

M220 #2. Engine frozen. Put ATF and PB Blaster in cylinders. Check it each week.

M35A2. This one is still in the trees. It's next in line after I get M220 #1 running.

Steel Soldier Threads under user name Targhee Trucks. You'll need to register to see pics and video.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/90117-bringing-m35a2-out-trees-back-road.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/early-deuce/89764-boyce-remanufactured-2-1-2-ton-6-x-6-a.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/early-deuce/89501-trying-get-two-m220s-running-after-long-rest.html

See you at the Old Jeep Rendezvous in Ashton, Idaho 9:00 am - Noon on the first Saturday after July 4th. All pre-1970 Jeep vehicles, military or civilian, stock or modified welcome.
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those old GMC powered Deuces sell quite cheap in running condition. I'd buy a runner for parts before you sink a ton into a engine. 650.00-1500.00 running. I never wanted one due to the automatics. I love the way they look. Hey, maybe put a multifuel in one with the standard tranny. That would be cool. Heavy metal fabrication though. Little Jeeps are better right? So, are you a potato farmer now? Laughing John
jbjeeps

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oilleaker1 wrote:
Those old GMC powered Deuces sell quite cheap in running condition. I'd buy a runner for parts before you sink a ton into a engine. 650.00-1500.00 running. I never wanted one due to the automatics. I love the way they look. Hey, maybe put a multifuel in one with the standard tranny. That would be cool. Heavy metal fabrication though. Little Jeeps are better right? So, are you a potato farmer now? Laughing John

Ha! Potato farmer? No, I'm just the (amateur) wrench, doing what I can to help them out with the farm. And having a good time doing it!

I really like the GMC deuces. The 6 cyl w/ the standard trans should be a good setup, low miles, 5,000 & 7,000. The interiors are original, complete and in great shape, minus some rotten canvas on the seats. But you're right, they're not worth a whole lot. Scrap value about $700. My goal is to keep them out of the scrap yard. But there's not much in the budget to buy expensive replacement parts, so I'm doing what I can with what's there. I'd kind of like to have one (both?). We'll see.

The M35A2 looks like it has the most potential for resale or use on the farm. I'm anxious to get on that one. Probably next week.

Jack

See you at the Old Jeep Rendezvous in Ashton, Idaho 9:00 am - Noon on the first Saturday after July 4th. All pre-1970 Jeep vehicles, military or civilian, stock or modified welcome.
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like fun Jack. I think you have a problem sneaking up on you,----------------------Green Disease. John
jbjeeps

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green Disease? I think you're right.

Actually, I've had "Old Internal Combustion Stuff" disease since I was a teenager. It takes many shapes: cars, trucks, tractors, boats, snowmobiles. It strikes without warning and before I know it I'm hauling some new treasure home.

Fortunately, I have an amazing wife who understands and supports my disease. She simply says, "That's fine". I'm a very lucky guy.

Well, there was the time I said I was going to buy an old rusted Jeep body, put it in the front yard and use it to plant flowers and vegetables in. She put her foot down on that one. Geez, I thought it was a great idea. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Announcements, News, Humor All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: