Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

RT-70 & other radios... Stencilling
Willys Service Bulletins 1945-1951
P.C.V Baffle
Rubber washers on F134 valve cover by
Adding pictures to post
Early M38 light switch resistor value
Painting the Block
Fitting exhaust Manifold
M38 no start condition
Wanted: L-134 crankshaft

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Dataplate rivets
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dataplate rivets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timjuhl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Dataplate rivets Reply with quote

Can anyone suggest the best way of setting the rivets used to hold the dataplates to their mounting plate? My dataplates are so weathered as to be unreadable so I purchased a replacement set. I don't want to mar the new dataplates when I rivet them on, thus the question.

I have a hand squeezer and pneumatic rivet gun for aircraft use. The hand unit's jaws could reach the ones around the edges but that's about it. That said, I'm not sure that the rivet sets used with aircraft solid aluminum rivets would be correct for the type of rivets that came with the new dataplates.

I'll appreciate any and all suggestions.

Tim
davem201m38

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along a similar vien.
My dash is drilled to mount the plates direct on to it, it also has the hand (badly) cut heater hole. Now I understand how a normal pop rivet works but how do I fit the solid brass rivet when I can't get access to the back of the dash ? I've never used solid rivets before. Sad
Does the rivet go through from behind and is then held somehow while the end is peened over?
Yours, scratching my head,
Dave.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 - Data Plates riveted to a separate mounting plate MC34152 and on and M38A1's and M170's.

There's a special setting punch that rolls the tail end of the tubular brass rivet down and outward. You support the face of the rivet with a phenolic or thick plastic block while tapping on the back of rivet with the punch. The large plate is then screwed to the dash with four screws, tapping, pan head #6. Tim the rivet set illustrated below should look familiar to you. It's the same type set used with your Cleveland and McCauley brake lining rivets.

2 - Data plates fastened directly to the dash on early M38's MC10001 thru MC34151.

These plates were NOT riveted on. They are fastened directly to the dash with screw, tapping, pan head #6.

This information is in your ORD 9 SNL G-740 dated Sep 55 on pages 337 thru 339.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
timjuhl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Rivets Reply with quote

Duh! Why didn't I think of that? I don't own a set but I may be able to borrow one from an A&P friend.

Thanks Wes!

Tim
Rotorhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: data plates Reply with quote

Hi Tim, Do you still have the old set of data plates and will you sell them? I have my original serialized plate for the vehicle, but the others are missing. I prefer the old weathered look. If you are will to let them go do you have pics? Thanks, Rob.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: