Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38-YS637S Carb question
RT-70 & other radios... Stencilling
Willys Service Bulletins 1945-1951
P.C.V Baffle
Rubber washers on F134 valve cover by
Adding pictures to post
Early M38 light switch resistor value
Painting the Block
Fitting exhaust Manifold
M38 no start condition

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38A1 Ammeter to Voltmeter (Y,R,G) Conversion -"SEND&qu
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38A1 Ammeter to Voltmeter (Y,R,G) Conversion -"SEND&qu

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colmustard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: M38A1 Ammeter to Voltmeter (Y,R,G) Conversion -"SEND&qu Reply with quote

I have a 53' M38A1 and I want to replace the ammeter with a voltmeter that I came across because the ammeter isn't working.(Proper Voltage exists on wires 8 & 9, but my gauge reads open circuit) Voltmeter is a newer military vehicle style with yellow red and green indicators. According to the gauge troubleshooting manual link that was posted on some other topics, when this voltmeter is hooked up to my ignition switch outlet I should have yellow battery power (wire 27) and when I start the jeep I should get regulator output power which would push it up into the green area on the gauge. My problem is I don't know what wire to use to get regulator voltage output. Should I try 8 or 9 to SEND? ( I'm afraid that will fry my gauge)
The gauge has three connections IGN, GND, and SEND. So what is the proper connections to IGN and GND and SEND to get full functionality of the gauge? [/img]
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you still have a generator you should be able to use the ammeter.
Have you tried the troubleshooting process? An open sounds like
a bad ground, or maybe a shunt gone bad.

If you are sold on the voltmeter anything downstream of wire
#10 should be regulator output. Wire 27 should be the same.

Ign suggests to me you hook up wire 27 there to get voltage
only when the ignition switch is on. If you have a five wire
spider you can use the extra wire to hook up your voltmeter.

Send I am not so sure.

I have a military voltmeter and it only has two connections

Take care,
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom line here is the voltmeter in question is not the correct volt meter for any M38/M38A1/M170 that has been converted to a transistorized voltage regulator. They used a single wire meter. Weather it reads yellow, red or green when the master switch is turned on depends on the battery's state of charge. It won't always be yellow.

Best advice is get the correct meter.

http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4543&highlight=

http://saturnsurplus.com/gauges/9512.htm

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wes,
One can use a voltmeter with a system without the alternator
right? Just have to tap into the spider for voltage.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have read any of my previous posts and how to's on this topic you would already know the answer to that question. Wink

Of course you can. What made you think you can't. Confused

Don't misread my post above. I only pointed out that when the US military converted any of it's M38/M38A1/M170's to transistorized voltage regulators they always used a single wire volt meter not a 3 wire volt meter.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
colmustard

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thanks but buying a $65 gauge is not an option at the current time, (kind of like the NYMETS winning the series- not going to happen!) The gauge I'm quite sure is from either a M939 series 5 ton truck or an M1070 HET. since it sounds like no one really knows what the SEND wire should be, I will resolve to hook up either wire number eight or nine because reading the troubleshooting manual there should be a change in voltage and the colors are clearly mentioned therein; with The ignition turned on, yellow, green after that when the alternator kicks on.i will hook it up and let you know the results.
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which regulator do you have?

Before wring your voltmeter to 8 or 9 read the post below:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10139&highlight=voltmeter
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just refer to the proper wiring diagram for the truck the gauge came from?

You mentioned you have an alternator in your last post. I find it odd you would use an old M38 mechanical voltage regulator with any modern alternator. Confused

colmustard

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me settle a couple questions that are still out there--

Brian, my voltage regulator is a A replacement Delco Remy mechanical regulator it is not transistorized.
I have 3 ammeters in my hand that came with the jeep, kind of like extra parts. They are the original gauge, one that shows 60+ and 60 - , another that shows 30+ and 30- and none of them flinch or move with wires number 8 & 9 connected. And I checked eight and nine and they had 28 volts on both which is correct. I have not looked into the shunt but I will look at that before too long.

Wesk, I miss spoke when I said alternator, I have a mechanical voltage regulator and a generator. Also thanks for the tip, I will go look up one of those manuals for a 5-ton and see if I can find that gauge in there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: