Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38-YS637S Carb question
RT-70 & other radios... Stencilling
Willys Service Bulletins 1945-1951
P.C.V Baffle
Rubber washers on F134 valve cover by
Adding pictures to post
Early M38 light switch resistor value
Painting the Block
Fitting exhaust Manifold
M38 no start condition

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38A1 12 volt conversion
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38A1 12 volt conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smokey1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: M38A1 12 volt conversion Reply with quote

My 53' A1 was already converted to 12v and has a wiring job that needs to be changed for sure. Its falling apart and has been hacked up pretty good.

I will be purchasing a new wiring harness and for the time being staying 12V. Blasphemy I know...

My question is regarding the best way to approach this. My inital thought is purchase a newly manufactured period correct 24V wire harness so years down the road whomever purchases the jeep can convert genny, voltage regulator, coil, distributor to a 24v period correct system if they choose.

Going the new 24V wiring harness route, does anyone make the stock douglas connectors pigtail kits so I could use 12v headlights, turn signal lights, brakelights, and gauges without hacking up the new wiring harness up?

Also regarding brake lights and turn signal lights. What would be a clean way of adding those items into the A1, again 12v. I was thinking of finding a 12v dual filament bulb and trying to use the grill blackout lamps for a cleaner look and in the back using the existing assy for turn signal/brake lights? I will be driving my A1 on the street a lot and really want turn signal and brake lights. Just looking for the cleanest way to add them.

Thank you.
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would contact Joe at Vintage Wiring of Maine... he makes harnesses and can lead you in the proper direction...

Joe is a veritiable book of information and quite willing to share it...

Hope this helps...

BTW his harnesses are great with any mods you might want to add...
smokey1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic start! Thank you. I would not have found that vendor without this forum.

Now, other ideas regarding adding turn signal and brake lights welcomed.

I know its not keeping with an orginal M38A1 , but trying to make it as tastefully done while cosmetically keeping some military aspects of the build: paint, wheels, interior, etc.
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M-38A1s had brake lights, as for turn signals generally what is done is the blackout lights are converted to turn signals. then changed back when going into combat...

Other than harness and light bulbs the only big change is the lens covers...

Hope this helps...
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend the following.

1-If you want to be able to go military 24 volt in the forseeable future and intend to buy $500 + military harness then don't waste any money on any 12 volt stuff. I could rant for hours on how many 1/2 arsed 12/24 volt military vehicles I have fought with over the last 30 years but suffice it to say a hermaphrodite it should not be!

2-Order a stock M38A1 harness from VWOM with turnsignal provision and dual rear service brake lights. You decide which turn signal system you want to use. There's old military, new military and civilian all available in 24 volts.

3-Go to your local auto electric overhauler and see if he has any civilian 24 volt alternator cores and if he'd build one for you. Delco, Prestolite, Ford and Motorola all make several. Internal or external regulator is ok.
Show him your crank or waterpump pulley so he can match you up with a two groove that fits. Once you nail down the make and model of the regulator/alternator let me know and I'll send you a wiring integration scheme for it. Once you drive the old girl on a modern civvy 24 volt / 60 amp alternator you'll have no desire to put that heavy and huge 24 volt 25 amp system on.

4-All that leaves for you to find is a 24 volt starter and distributor and some gages/senders. Take your time , be patient and the inexpensive parts you need will show up at flea markets, auto shows, Ebay and etc. When building these projects patience is the greatest virtue you can possess.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
smokey1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wesk,

Great post! I did not realize that there are 24v alternator's available. That changes things.

I need to do some research on those alternators and would prefer an internal regulator alternator.

Well, that makes it easy. 24v it will be!
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking the internal regulated alternators are usually more expensive. I have always favored the Ford/Prestolite 60 amp units with an external regulator. very easy to isolate for troubleshooting and as for electronics the regulator on the fender is cheaper and easier to replace.
A good place to look for the 24 volt Ford/Prestolite is around light aircraft airports and salvage yards.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
smokey1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your thoughts on using a M151 28v alternator and two belt pulley. Would that not be a clean installation.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it would work just fine. I think you'll find those are rather expensive but you can always get lucky. You'll save the need for the big regulator but you'll still have the huge and heavy generator even though it is an AC Generator.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: