Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

RT-70 & other radios... Stencilling
Willys Service Bulletins 1945-1951
P.C.V Baffle
Rubber washers on F134 valve cover by
Adding pictures to post
Early M38 light switch resistor value
Painting the Block
Fitting exhaust Manifold
M38 no start condition
Wanted: L-134 crankshaft

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - L134 purchase questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

L134 purchase questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wtb853

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: L134 purchase questions Reply with quote

I got the call from the machine shop last week that my L134 is not a good candidate to start from. There is a crack along the #2 cylinder that creates "an uneven deck surface that can't be machined out". The shop said the block would have to be welded and even then they couldn't guarantee that I would not have head gasket leaks/issues. I heard $$$$.
It was not an MC block to begin with.

So the search begins for a good candidate close by. Ryan's book and my internet research has me looking for a 641087 cast block with 5 freeze plugs and 4 bolt holes on the bellhousing flange. I believe this is correct for MC25486. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Three questions:

Have any of you run into this situation and had the block repaired? How much did it cost?

What is the rhyme and reason to the casting #s after the block code? I can't find this information anywhere. As an example, the cracked block in Question is 641087-L-W11 A-NI-CR-N2.

Any 641087 blocks out there close to NW Montana? I'd be happy with a non-MC 641087 block from a CJ.

Wes, I'll fill out the survey when I get the block back. Thanks in advance for any info.............
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the letters and numbers after the 7 are foundry data and refer to drawing info, production info and metal content.

You are correct on an early 641087 casting for a factory class resto. Motor pool you can be more flexible. The late 10 bolt castings can be used with the early bell housing and plates but you will need to ground a bit off the right side for the timing window. Or you could just not use the timing window and use the later front crank pulley timing mark setup.

Check with Snake River 4x4 in Idaho.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
skyjeep50

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discovered my newly purchased M38 had a cracked block that the previous owner did not tell me about (with my cash in his pocket, why would he?). The crack went from the wall of #4 cylinder across a head stud hole to a coolant gallery. There was no fixing it. The problem is that the block is in places very thin with oil and coolant galleries running through it, like an egg shell. Yes, the exterior of a crack can be welded but the interior surfaces of a oil or coolant gallery can't be accessed - you can't get to them. Once started, a crack can radiate through the block due to stresses on the engine when it is running. So, once cracked, that's it unless the crack or break is in an easy to reach and non-critical area - each situation is going to be very different.
Boze

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like both blocks may be candidates for cylinder sleeves.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually neither is a Good candidate for a sleeve. The first block has a deck to head sealing issue and the second block has a compromised stud hole neither of which can be solved with the installation of a sleeve.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: