Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 no start condition
Wanted: L-134 crankshaft
Looking for M38 seat cover pattern
Wanted: Browning M2 MK-23 Mount
Adjusting Tappits
Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Fuel line
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel line

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lgt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Fuel line Reply with quote

I am planning to run the fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump on my 1955 M38A1. What size line is used?
Thanks
Larry
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open up your M38A1 parts manual The ORD 9 SNL G-758 or if you don't have one download it free here http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=87

Page 74 Illustrates the fuel supply plumbing for the M38A1. You'll see each line and fitting in this illustration with a letter next to it.

Page 75 is the index for page 74. Match the letter of the part you are interested in from the illustration to the index list.

Then armed with that associated part number go to group 0306 on page 92.
Select the tube that you want to make.

For example: Line "E" at the top of the illustration runs from the top of the tank to the right front corner of the frame. Looking on page 75 you will see that "E" = Line Assembly ORD part # 8329775 which is listed in group 0306. Now go to Group 0306 on page 92. The individual parts are listed in that group in alphabetical order. So "Line" starts on page 93 just below the middle of the page. Now you'll notice there are 4 columns of part numbers. From left to right they are FSN (Federal Stock Number), Ordnance Stock Number, Manufacturer's part number, Ordnance Part Number. Since the number we are looking for is in the 7 digit Ordnance Part Number format we quickly scan the Ordnance part number column next to each "Line -------------" entry and you will see that 8329775 is the fourth entry starting with "Line----" and it is very well described as:

Line. Fuel elbow to "T" assy. (M38A1)
Composed of:
2 (qty) nuts
1 (Qty) Tube (80 inch length) S (steel)

Now that tube is listed as 44-T-5080-20

So we continue further into group 0306 looking for "Tube" or tubing and alphabetically that takes us to page 96 at the top.

The second listing for "tubing" is very well described as:

Tubing, S (steel) seamless PLTD (plated) 5/16" OD 0.030" thick wall.

As you can see it can take quite awhile to do some of this research but it helps you in the long run to learn to do it yourself.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
lgt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes, I did not know where to go after pages 74,75
RICKG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're doing your own double flares stay away from
harbor freight chinas finest flare tools-cheap junk-
dont ask how i know this Embarassed
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that the entries I made in () are from the front of the manual where the abbreviations are listed.

I am surprised you didn't ask what specifically the tubing is plated with?! Copper. Most restorers buy a real copper spray paint and paint the tubing after it is assembled and test fitted.

Unless you are being a stickler for the accuracy of a class act factory resto you can just buy the ready made lines from the auto parts or farm supply store that are closest to the measurements you need for each tube. What I do is copy the parts manual illustration and then I list the diameter and length of each tube next to it's letter callout from the illustration. Then take the illustration to the store with you and buy the ready made lines that will best fit.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: