Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Tranny/transfer leak
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tranny/transfer leak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4x4M38

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Tranny/transfer leak Reply with quote

So the "Hammer" has been sitting in the
driveway for a while patiently waiting
on the long-needed clutch job. Other
driveway-friendly projects have been
on-going.

A day or so ago I noticed gear oil has been
seeping down the front of the transmission
at the joint with the bell housing. It is gear oil,
and remarkably enough, I do not seem to have
a welsh plug or rear main leak, because
in spite of all of the other seeps around the
oil pan and other places the rear of the engine
is dry including the bell housing drain hole.
I have a replacement engine with a sealed bell housing.

There's a seal there, correct? Is it a relatively simple fix I can
do when I replace the clutch or is that a tear down?

Tks,

Thanks,
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine leaks also. There is a bunch of places for it to get out. Rear main, cam plug, transmission countershaft bore, the 3 bolts holding the nose on the transmission, oil slinger bolts, nose gasket, oil pan gasket, upper shifter front plugs, shifter cover gasket and that's just that area. Sometimes it leaks down from elswhere and fools you. Just do the best you can while in there. The rear main seal replacement is best done with the engine out on a stand upside down and the cranshaft pulled. I wouldn't dream of trying in the vehicle------never. I've been baptised in the fire when it comes to oil leaks. I now have learned to view it as the English define: I only fix leaks now that are: "Any Appreciable Amount". Wink
4x4M38

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.
That's the thing. The usual suspects are out, as there is
no oil coming from the bell housing hole, and none visible
at the rear of the oil pan.

This is seeping down on the front of the transmission.

I guess at the very least I should get a bearing retainer gasket
and felt seal and be prepared to change them when I pull
the clutch.

As with a lot of other things with this jeep, I suspect there
will be more to the story when I get the bell housing off.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, Read the Willys Tech T90 rebuild guide. The author clearly describes the input shaft sealing issues and the how to. While you are doing the clutch replacement the bell will be separated from the engine but then you will need to separate the bell from the tranny so you can do a good seal change. I won't change a clutch on a Willys L or F 134 without pulling the engine. It's to big of a PITA to fool with laying on your back under the jeep. Evan with a lift in the shop I still pull the engine. If I intend to rebuild the tranny or transfer case at that time I pull them out with the engine. Again for the same reason laying on your back under the jeep removing the crossmember tranny and transfer is a real PITA. This is the perfect opportunity to give everything from the fan to the two output flanges on the transfer case a thorough inspection and cleaning.

http://www.willystech.com/wt/T90RebuildGuide/T90rebuild.htm

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the article link Wes. I received Moses' early jeep rebuilders' guide for Christmas, and though full of lots of step by step instructions and photos, Ii didn't see a how to change just the bearing retainer seal. It is directions for a complete teardown and rebuild.

I'm hoping to avoid rebuilds of the major pieces like engine, transmission and tranny. But like you said, after a thorough inspection I may not have a choice. The engine is nasty, but doesn't burn any oil.

The one thing that gives me a good feeling about the tranny/trans is the oil that is leaking looks brand new, and from the looks of the rest of everything else as bought, perhaps is the proverbial diamond in the goats' backside.

My guess is my first real look is when I pull the tower cover, then the next a-ha will be to see what shape the pilot bearing is in. If its wallowed out I'm probably in for the long haul.

The throwout bearing is almost in pieces, so I'm hoping Bubba just rode around the ranch all day with his foot on the clutch pedal. Blowing that out early would suggest less damage to more items down the line.

Only time will tell.

Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: