Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Restoring Fuel Tank
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Restoring Fuel Tank

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aforests

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Restoring Fuel Tank Reply with quote

I bought this tank last year for $100. He said there were some rust holes in the bottom, I thought, no big deal I'll get that fixed...
I cleaned up the outside and started wire wheeling the bottom to find out that not only are there holes, the whole #@$%@ bottom is rotten. To make a long story short, I took the tank to numerous guys in town, and they all looked at it and said they wouldn't touch it, but they would build me a new tank. I finally just took it home and cut the bottom out. I took it to another welding/fab place and they said they could put a bottom back on.
I then took it over to a radiator shop and had them dunk it and clean for $50. It was not worth $50 as there is still a fair amount of rust and corrosion. So I just got done trying to do it by hand.

I need advice on whether the inside is too far gone to invest any more money into this tank. fire away...

PHOTO ALBUM
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album400&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron,
Hard to really tell but I don't see any stuctural issues.
Any major metal loss? Any more pinholes?
I'd put a bottom in it and go.

Maybe a couple other guys would recommend a tank sealer?
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron,

I'll never recommend a tank sealer but you need to glass bead blast the inside skin first. Then repair any pin holes or any pits that are more than halfway through the steel. Then weld a new bottom skin on and run it. Keep the tank at 3/4 full and you won't have any serious rust issue in your lifetime with the jeep.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Saberr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you never recommend a sealer ?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First let me say this: I have been wrenching on cars, trucks, ATV's/cycles and airplanes for 55 years. I have seen just how well all the sealers hold up to time.

Unless the sealer is professionally applied to a properly prepared tank it will not last. The grief it causes when it peels and plugs up various points in your fuel system is not worth the price of repairing the tank correctly.

I use several methods.

Light corrosion I will hot tank the tank and flush it thoroughly and place it back in service.

Heavier corrosion I will cut the worse skin off and bead blast the tank innards clean and weld in a new skin. Sometimes if all skins are heavily corroded/pitted but the end caps and bulkheads are good I will replace all the skin.

On some smaller tanks, like motor cycles I will fill them 1/4th to 1/3rd up with smooth river stone and shake them for a day or two.

Once the metal is clean the best method to keep rust away is to keep the tank filled. A moisture drain in the lowest part of the tank is also a good idea.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The repro tanks are too tall. Fix yours as suggested and don't use sealer. Any leaks on the welds can be soldered and checked with 2 # of air pressure and soapy water. The only time I use tank sealer is in fiberglass motorcycle gas tanks. John
aforests

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply's!

I will look for someone to bead blast the inside of the tank for me and go from there.

PHOTO ALBUM
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album400&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: