Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Carb problem?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Carb problem?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Carb problem? Reply with quote

I got a new carb from MWM, ran like it never has before. Took it out and drove it around up and down hills. Loved it! Get home and put a new starter switch in it, cause the other was old and at times would not make the connection. Now it hardly runs. Changed out the fuel filter, rust crap came out so I thought that was the problem. Put in the clear plastic filter before the fuel pump. Put a mason jar after the fuel pump and started the jeep. I thought I would run the gas out of bowl while filling the jar, I had to shut it off cause the jar was almost full , about 15 to 20 seconds. The fuel pump works fine, the gas was clean, the fuel filter is half full with no air bubbles and clear. Still ran bad like it's starving for fuel. Took the carb completely apart and blew out with carb cleaner, did find a small piece of rust. Put it back together and it ran perfect revved it up and sounded great. Then about 20 seconds later, it's back to the same sputtering and starved for fuel. Took apart a second time found nothing. Started up well then the same story after about 20 seconds of running well, it goes back to sputtering. Any thoughts?
Bobber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel lines were new, tank was flushed, but some fines did come out and were found in the fuel filter.
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the fuel cap off and see if it runs, could be the vent to the fuel tank is clogged causing vapor lock... especially if you have rust and junk in the tank... Not saying that is the problem,, but one of the things to try...
1952 M-100 Strick #104
1951 Willys Wagon (For Sale)
1954 Willys M38A1 201001205
Tornado Alley
Del City, OK
Bobber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I've taken apart and consulted the downloads on carbs. starts and idles great, just no acceleration allowed. doesn't get fuel. I think it has to be a plug the way it was good yesterday and bad today. Thanks I'll try it.
Bobber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to recheck the distributor to make sure it's moving properly. Who knows.
scoutpilot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What brand of carburetor did you buy? What brand did you have before?
4x4M38

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you are saying it ran fine until you shut it off and
now it runs poorly?

Rust in your fuel indicates a rusty tank. Do you have the factory
in tank filter as well as the aftermarket filter installed?

I would start at the tank. Is it clean? If not, clean it. Work
down the line. You will probably end up at the carb where
you may find one or more of the small passages plugged
with rust.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Bobber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I flushed the tank I removed the tank element(filter) and ran a filter before the fuel pump. I put new fuel lines when I flushed out the tank. I put a new dual fuel pump in. I had a YS carb, just I couldn't get the carb to perform so I sent it in and got a rebuilt one from MWM. Very nice carb, no adjustment, plug and play. I also had the Distributor rebuilt by MWM just before I replaced the carb. So now I have a new carb, fuel pump and new distributor. So I take it out and have a good time. The next day it won't run well. Then I do everything like check fuel filter and carb etc. Today I consulted some gentlemen I know run M series vehicles and they were kind enough to come over and see and hear what I'm doing. He immediately tells me it's timing. We pull off the dist cover and reset the points. I had checked the points when I put it all to gather initially, but he tells me they wear in and you have to recheck them. Too much gap, I didn't know that. When I had my 64 chev, I had points and didn't remember doing this. Anyways that was all that was wrong with it. I did need the fuel filter replaced and I'll keep my eye on the rust situation. I just would've never thought to look at the points, them being new, I was planning to go back and look at the dist. but I thought I should have another set of eyes with me. Thanks for all of your input. Couldn't do squat with out these these forums.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most distributor points when new will have a wee bit of accelerated wear on the tip of the rubbing block. This results in the point gap BECOMING SMALLER requiring an early re-adjustment of point gap. Perhaps you misunderstood your advisor's ??Too much gap?? comment. It would have been reduced gap due to initial wear or run-in of the distributor. This changes both dwell and timing very slightly.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Bobber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I may have. I didn't get in there and see what exactly he was looking at. I just remember his comment, then resetting the points.
Bobber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, an explanation why the gap was greater. I drove the jeep around the block and it started missing, so I took the dist. cap off and reset the points. Drove it again and it started to miss. I popped the cap off again then notice the base plate was loose. That would explain my issue. Reset the points again then it was fine, no miss, no problems. Maybe a trained eye would've seen or checked this. I didn't . But at least I did find it. I just assumed that it came back from a good shop it would perfect. We all make mistakes. Hope this helps somebody.
Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: