Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Axles filled holes ??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Axles filled holes ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saberr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject: Axles filled holes ?? Reply with quote

I have barely messed with axles before. The few times i have, i have noticed holes about 1 inch wide around the main pumpkin, what are they for ? They are usualy filled, and only got real curriouse becouse i noticed on my dana 25 front axle, it seemed like some the metal filler (prob weld) was eaten away, and saw rust forming underneath. I am guessing its part of the manufacture process, but would love a deffinit answer. I've looked around on web, and found nothing. In the picture, you can see two of them right above break line.
dauntless

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:37 am    Post subject: Plug welds Reply with quote

Those are called plug welds. They are welded up to attach the axle tube to the housing. Nothing to worry about all differentials have them. Clean them up and paint .
Saberr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat, ya i have seen them on all axles past and present. Good to know there plug welds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: