Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Contract number question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contract number question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdainsd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Contract number question Reply with quote

Im getting curious about contact numbers for work given to W/O on the M38s.

Backstory. I have been hunting NOS parts for one of my two M38s in preparation for a restoration. I prefer my parts in the following order, NOS original packaging, NOS no packaging. Now that the hunt is on, I am finding parts in their original packaging with contract numbers right out of the M38 book. Im also kind of surprised some parts that aren't Willys per se come in a Willys marked and part numbered package. For instance, new voltage regulator cover, while it is obviously Autolite, it came in a box with a Willys number and a contract number, one that is in the book.

Now I've become across some more parts packaged as G740 10/52 with contract number DA-20-113-ORD-4247. That number is not in the book. Could it be the contact listed as "DA-?" of July 1951? That contract is for Jeeps and parts. The timing and sequence is about right.

So...

Calling M38 owners with serial numbers between MC36113 and MC36333!
Does your data tags have the contract number? If so please share.

Thanks!
'52 Dodge M37, '42 GPW, '48 FrankenJeep CJ2A/M38, '50 CJV-35(U), '51 M38, '42 WC-57 Command Car, '44 WC-51 Weapons , (2) M1941 Sperry 60" Anti-Aircraft Searchlights, John Deere M-gator, '44 White M3A1 Scout Car
dpcd67

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willys received a contract for spare and repair parts; not necessarily for parts manufactured by them. They were purchased by Willys and passed through to the Government.
One thing you have to realize is that a NOS part might actually be a reject or non conforming part, excessed by the TACOM inventory manager and sold to the public. I hear from people who open a NOS part and find that it doesn't work; that is why.
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can verify that. 15 years ago I purchased a NOS driver side rear quarter assembly with the brackets, inner fender wells, door brackets, fuel opening, etc. everything.

Some of the brackets were off by an inch and the reinforcement bracket inside the fender well was crushed by the spot welder a few times.

Must have been a new guy or something. It had the WO NOS contract sticker on it and came from an old jeep surplus dealer I knew personally that had a ton of NOS stuff.

Also remember that there were a certain number of defects allowed when ordnance was inspected and the inspectors only looked at a certain percentage of stuff - tanks, jeeps, etc., whatever they were procuring.

I read up on the inspection requirements out of the Army's Ordnance Journal article published around 1948.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: