Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Steering gear box spacing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steering gear box spacing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
groundhog

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Steering gear box spacing Reply with quote

Hello,
I have installed a new repo tub on my M38, and I have it all lined up good, and also level, but my dilemma is that the steering column does not fit in the dash indent very well now. It is off sideways approximately an inch. My question then is can the steering gear box be shimmed out away from the frame a little, to help alleviate this situation? Maybe this has been answered before; maybe not. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Groundhog
Lakeview, Michigan Confused
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have several problems.

1 - Frame is bent. Frame alignment will often require a Porta-Power and a torch but the check dimensions are in the chassis TM.

2 - Tub being an offshore unit is not always dead nuts on! It is always better to get an undrilled tub (mount bolt holes) so you can fudge the hole positions to make the items near the firewall align properly. IE strg, pedals, starter kick pad.

3 - Proper tub installation requires aligning the tub first with rear crossmember and slowly work forward.

I am moving your post to the technical board. This board is for folks to follow a project jeep from beginning to end.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
groundhog

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Although I tried starting from the rear, then the fenders and grill wouldn't line up. I read a thread on one forum, elsewhere that he did the opposite, with making sure the fenders and grille all matched up. That bent frame is very possible, I suppose. I knew that there would be some problems, with aligning a repo tub, from reading about others.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the tub off that frame is very easy to straighten. It sounds like she is bent a bit and this is the best time to make it right. You can follow the manuals or roll the frame on a trailer and take it to a frame shop.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
billybob

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: steering gear box spacing Reply with quote

After reading about all the trouble other people have had, here and all over the web about the repro bodies, I feel very lucky. My grandson, a professional body man installed mine with very little trouble. of course we had to make a few minor adjustments but nothing serious. And he knew what all to look for and how to pull everything together. And the frame was in very good shape. And luckily all the hat channels were in the correct place.
groundhog

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am actually farther along than it may appear. The engine, all of the drive train and axles are all installed. I guess as a newby, I wasn't anticipating checking the frame straightness prior to this assembly. Now I am sort of scratching my head as to the least radical fix I can achieve. Your advice is appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: