Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - cj5 motor in m38a1 frame
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cj5 motor in m38a1 frame

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lilhubbs24

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: cj5 motor in m38a1 frame Reply with quote

I'm trying to install the motor and tranny. I have a cj5 motor and tranny but I have an m38a1 frame. the motor mounts are like 1 1/2' forward. Is there a conversion kit or am I doing something wrong?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the CJ5 engine is an F134 from a 1955 thru 1971 CJ5 then it came from the factory with same mount plate as the M38A1 except for the A1's beefed up generator front mounting hole.

That means either you CJ5 F134 has a wierd front mount plate that came from a different installation or your M38A1 chassis has been modified in the past for a different engine.

This is a good point in time to use the old saying "A picture is worth a thousand words" and post some of the frame mounts in the A1 chassis and the front mount plate on your CJ5 engine.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
zeke57

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading this I am wondering if I am going to have the same problem as lilhubbs24. I am installing a non-military f134 into a '52 a1.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'll offer the same info for you. If the F134 engine came out of a 55 to 71 CJ5/CJ6 or a 53 to 65 CJ3B the from mount plate ears are in exactly the same place as the M38A1 front mount plate and they will bolt right in the M38A1 stock chassis.

The F134 engine originated in 1950 production for the Pickups Wagons and Jeepster. if you have an F134 with a low VJXXXXX or UXXXXX or PXXXXX then it may have the early F134 front plate with some changes in locations.

Up thru about 54 the Jeep universal F134 serials would have had a chassis series Identifier at the beginning of their serials but after 54 the F134 engine serials became 4JXXXXX no matter which chassis they went in at the factory.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
zeke57

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a number cast near the base of the block which reads 807895 16. Would that tell me anything about the production year and whether it may bolt up or not?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again let me restate. The serial number of the block will answer that question not the casting number. That casting number is the 2nd F134 block design used by Willys and came out in 1952. Go look at the serial number above the water pump on the small flat. Then post that serial number here.

I'll also restate this again from my earlier reply:

Quote:
This is a good point in time to use the old saying "A picture is worth a thousand words" and post some of the frame mounts in the A1 chassis and the front mount plate on your CJ5 engine.

zeke57

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the area where the serial number should be located is pitted and is gone. Does it appear anywhere else on the engine? And I will get some pictures.
lilhubbs24

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m trying to figure out how to post pictures from
My phone
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engines only left Willys with one serial number. review my F134 engine photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album138&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Engines that have been rebuilt professionally often have an added ID plate with the rebuild info on it fastened to the left side of the block. Willys failed to plan ahead on these engines with their serial number placement. The pad the serial sits on is the upper deck of the block and when an engine gets overhauled it usually requires a light machining of the deck surface to get rid of the waves and bumps that develop. This machining often shaves off the lightly stamped serial numbers. If you clean the pad thoroughly with a scotchbrite pad and MEK or Brake cleaner you can often barely see the shadow of these numbers.

If you want to post a photo here you must first have that photo loaded to a web site so it has it's on URL. Don't waste your time with all the web photo hosters. Just get an album here on this web site. Put your photos in then link them to your postings.

These older forums like ours do not fair well when users try to work with them from portable devises. Pads, lap tops and PC's work fine.

Look down the list of boards on our forum and go to that one down near the bottom that is titled Photo Album Requests and questions and request an album.

zeke57

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some photos in my album of my '52 a1 chassis and my non military f134 engine mounting points. Anyone think this will bolt up?http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album622&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your front engine mounting plate looks fine. Your two front mount pads at the frame look fine. That leaves the rear crossmember setup. Look real hard at the many manual and mjeeps member's album photos to make sure you are setting that rear crossmember and mount brackets on top of it correctly.

Looking at the front of your engine that lower CJ5 dual pulley is the civvy unit with a single wide and a single narrow pulley. The M38A1 uses a dual narrow. The generator mount also looks civvy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: