Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - 1942 GPW Horn Wiring
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1942 GPW Horn Wiring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: 1942 GPW Horn Wiring Reply with quote

Afternoon all.

Slightly off topic but have a question on wiring up the horn on my 1942 GPW. The electrical system is a 12V. I'm missing the horn mounting bracket and the wire to the horn terminal from the steering column bushing wire - the wire between the firewall and the horn terminal. I also have a 3rd terminal and wire - not quite sure what that's for but still working my way through some Ron Fitzpatrick videos.

I can order the mounting bracket but can't find that individual wire. What can I use right now for a field expedient connection so that I have a working horn - until I can acquire the correct wire?

Thanks!
Josh
1952 M38
1964 Apollo 5000 GT

De Opresso Liber
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you visited the parts manual for your GPW? The copy of the 1949 version of the ORD 9 SNL G-503 I have list's the wire from the junction block to the horn as WO# A5081 or Ford # GPW14409. Referenced is illustration Fig 06-9.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes.

I was poking around in that manual but didn't see that part number. Until I get the right wire I thought I would grab one that would work from my local hardware store, just so I have a working horn for inspection and use.

Thanks.
1952 M38
1964 Apollo 5000 GT

De Opresso Liber
RonD2

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the MB/GPW wiring diagram, I guess I don't understand the question. Horns have 2 connections, one is power, and the other is ground through the switch. Horn wiring couldn't be much simpler.

I have no clue what the "3rd terminal" you have might be, and you don't say where it is or otherwise describe it. More information (including photo's) might help generate useful answers.

I think most any 14 gauge wire from the auto parts store would work to get it up and running.

Good luck!

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

whydahdvr

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,

I don't know what it's for. The only description I can provide is that it's not the two terminals used for power/ground to the horn. It's similar, on the other side of that part of the horn, and is threaded with a lock washer and nut on it. Seems superfluous for powering the horn.
I'll take a picture and share.

What I'm really looking for is the modern equivalent wire for the firewall-to-horn wire.

I don't want to send us down a rabbit hole either so I'll reach out to AJP where I got my horn from last year. I thought someone here might know.

Thanks all!
1952 M38
1964 Apollo 5000 GT

De Opresso Liber
RonD2

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What I'm really looking for is the modern equivalent wire for the firewall-to-horn wire.

Any 14 gauge automotive wire from your local auto parts store is the modern equivalent. Unless you want the fabric covered color-coded stuff? If so, see this: https://brillman.com/product/14-gauge-cotton-braided-wire/

14 gauge is plenty for 12V horn, but you can get 12 gauge if it makes you feel better.

I'm guessing your 3rd terminal, unless it has an insulator on it, is a supplemental ground for the horn casing. Not shown on the wiring diagram I'm looking at.

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

whydahdvr

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ron.

That's what I was wondering about. Also not sure of the length. From the Ron Fitzpatrick video it looks about 6-7 inches long. I'll need that for ordering the cloth-covered cable from your supplier link.

In the meantime, 14 gauge it is. Also, the additional terminal actually has a rounded flat-head screw. I misremembered. So you're probably right about what it's for.

Thanks again!
1952 M38
1964 Apollo 5000 GT

De Opresso Liber
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: