Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Where is M38 Pilot Model MC10005 Today?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where is M38 Pilot Model MC10005 Today?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RonD2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Where is M38 Pilot Model MC10005 Today? Reply with quote

Studying the M38 Reference Guide as I sometimes do, I have a question that maybe the Author or one of the Contributors can help answer?

Page 24 says that one of the six M38 Pilot Models, serial number MC10005 (registration number 2368163) still exists "today".
The latest copyright date on my book is 2009 (I believe makes it the 2nd Edition), so "today" is now 13 years later.

Does anybody know where MC10005 is today (March 21, 2022)?
Is it privately owned? Still original? Restored? In a museum somewhere for all to see? Locked in a vault?

I searched this forum with no joy figuring if any info was available, it could be found here. Maybe I missed it.
I would've thought this special M38 would be fairly easy to find, maybe even see a few photo's of it "today", and see how history is treating it.

I couldn't find a copy of Army Motors #126 (dated April 2008).

I hope it's not a state secret. Just curiosity on my part.
Thinking others might be interested as well.

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to the answer you were given this morning? (It's shown in Bob Westerman's CJV35U Book)

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
BobW

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2007 I visited with the owner of MC 10005. It was in a private museum and the owner did not want his information made public. At that time MC 10005 had been restored by a previous owner and was still in good condition and mostly original. I have not attempted to keep track of it's location since then.

My research of the pilot models indicate that there were many changes made during the extensive testing by the Army. Therefore it is difficult to determine what changes were made by Willys and the Army and what changes were made during it's civilian life.
RonD2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes and Bob for the information.
I only duplicated my question as a new post after wondering if tacking it on a semi-related year-old post was the best thing to do.
I should've asked the question as a new post the first time.

While I understand that Bob's new book about the CJV-35U might also include new information about the M38 and its pilot models, it wasn't clear to me that it actually answers the question if MC10005 exists today, now fifteen years after the last reported sighting. Or if it includes anything more about its history and ownership since 1950 than the line or two it got in the Reference Guide.

Part of me surely understands the owners' right to privacy and I certainly respect that. While another part of me wonders about the point of owning a piece of history and keeping it secretly hidden away. The only known M38 pilot model on the planet.

Oh well. Guess we'll all just have to keep believing that it exists.

--- Enzo Ferrari

4x4M38

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“Cobra in a barn….”
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
BobW

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonD2 wrote:
Oh well. Guess we'll all just have to keep believing that it exists.

I can assure you, it does exist.
RonD2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thanks Bob.
I said I'd keep believing that it does still exist. And I do.

I was just hoping for more information about it, including photos more recent that 70 years old to enjoy.

For the time being, I guess MC10005 is meant only for one man and his close friends to enjoy privately.
But like most of us (who can't take stuff with us when we go), perhaps the next owner will be more inclined to share with us less fortunate M38 enthusiasts.

Maybe he might even decide to make a few bucks by allowing a photo shoot and sell it's history for a book (or a third edition of the Reference Guide, in color this time).

I'd buy one.

--- Enzo Ferrari

RonD2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone else but me is curious.....
I forgot to mention that I came across this interweb page of information about the M38 pilot models.

https://cj3a.info/sibling/m38/pilot.html

Interestingly (true or not) it says MC10005 (Army registration number 2368163) was never delivered to the Army.
Which makes for an even more unique history --- and maybe the reason it's the only known pilot model to survive to this day?

--- Enzo Ferrari

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RondD,
Quote:
I forgot to mention that I came across this interweb page of information about the M38 pilot models.

https://cj3a.info/sibling/m38/pilot.html

Looks like you need to recognize members you are conversing with. BoBW = Bob Westerman. I have been involved on line with the M38 for 26 years and trust me when I say Bob's dedication to sharing info on line and in his several books has been going on for much longer. The site you noted was supplied with it's data from him. He and Harold are the two longest time officiondos of the M38. The tone of your last two replies indicated to me you were not aware of this history.

As for the many thousands of people who collect relics and treasures and do not directly offer to the rest of the world folks, I can only say it is a common phenomenon and may be due to their health, their lack of social skills, lack of finances or whatever but I don't think we need to admonish them on this forum.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RonD2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes.
Yes, I think I knew that BobW = Bob Westerman, but didn't want to type his last name in this public forum out of respect for his privacy, including the chance I'd be violating forum rules by doing so and get myself black-balled.

But now that you've said it.....

Yes, I routinely see his name, yours, Harold's, and others that I recognize and believe represent the heart and soul of M38 knowledge and experience.
I consider all of you to be the experts, masters, and "keepers of the flame" that lights the way for the rest of us.
Yes, the author and 24 names printed under the cover page of the M38 Reference Guide.

I couldn't do what I do with my M38 without everything all of you and others have done and continue to do for the rest of us. Thank you!

And I certainly had no intent to admonish anybody with my remarks. But if anybody took them that way --- my apology!

I still have a large case of curiosity about MC10005. Who wouldn't?
Mainly because it still exists today and so little has been published about it.
If it had been scrapped years ago there'd be nothing more to say.

--- Enzo Ferrari

JBJeep

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I appreciate that it is privately owned, I can't say I understand the mindset not to make some information available on a unique (i.e. not just another M38) historic vehicle.
I've always thought owners have the (very unofficial) responsibility to share their "toys".

I have a (semi-) historic car, I've answered !any emails and phone calls about it as well as displaying it at shows and writing articles on it.

I understand not everyone feels the way I do, but looking at it long term, we are just temporarily caretakers of these things.
BobW

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBJeep wrote:

I've always thought owners have the (very unofficial) responsibility to share their "toys".

The owner of MC 10005 allowed me to inspect it and photograph it. He did not know me before I contacted him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: