Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - another carb? problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

another carb? problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grantj

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: another carb? problem Reply with quote

Well carb problems seem to be common recently. I guess after our jeeps sitting for too long? Anyway my problem seems to be that my M38 does a fair bit of "bucking" or "surges" esp when slowing down or even sometimes at a steady speed. This problem has gotten worse over the last 2-3 weeks, with the jeep only driven 1-3 x a week. It has also had flooding problems once in awhile.. Does start up usually pretty good til these 2 problems act up..
I've tried to search the forum's topic database for a similar situation, no luck.And a quick look at the carb's manual on the download section... Besides rechecking the float level, any other suggestions? blow out ports,etc?
The carb is a new rebuild 2-3 years ago. Instead of the M38 fuel pump , I have the MB glass bowl one for the last 2 years with no problems. thanks...grantj
usma41

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try checking your points. I have read somewhere in an old MVPA Mag that if you drive an M38 at a speed of 40 and above constantly you may as well throw the engine away. I just drive at a little over 40 and get the same results your getting and sure enough it's the points.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to throw away a M38 engine just because you drive 45 or 50 miles an hour. That is a ludicrous proposal. Worn distributors and weak pint springs will allow point float and high speed miss. Just fix the component, don't throw away the engine.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
grantj

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: surge Reply with quote

I agree Wes, throwing out an engine just for worn points or distributor is somewhat extreme. I just don't have a spare L 134 sitting in my garage. Some items these days are disposable but not a jeep engine..Plus I'm thinking of converting to the M151 electronic points anyway. And driving it over 40mph has been no problem before.
and the surging seems to happen at slower speeds.. Will hook up a vaccum gauge and see what that reads..grant j
usma41

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THAT'S NOT WHAT I SAID! This was an article in the National MVPA mag. IF YOU DRIVE YOUR M-38 CONSTANTLY OVER 35-40 MPH ( now remember the key phrase here is CONSTANTLY OVER) you may as well throw the engine away. I did not say I threw away an engine because of bad points, GET IT Straight. I said I drove it over 45 for one day and that's what developed. Plus those that modify any vehicle, that is your prerogative , I don't modify a thing. No 12-24V conversion no added turn sig. no electronic ignition.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to GET UPSET. I understood exactly what you said and my post addressed the position of the article writer for the magazine not your position. GET IT STRAIGHT! Wink

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: