Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Found/bought M170 New Guy
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Found/bought M170 New Guy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rdsar2k

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Found/bought M170 New Guy Reply with quote

Well here we go.
I am a new guy to this site and last night I purchased a M170. It is a barn special and I hesitated to dive in after reading some posts here but the condition surprised me so, here we go.
It's complete including winter tops, sides, gurnies, blackout lights, seats, bows, water proof ignition, alternator, airfilter, oil flilter. It has the original paint and markings on it also. It appears to have been under tarps since it was bought at a military auction. I could find very little rust anywhere and the undercarrage is very clean as though it had never really been taken off road. I must admit that I would have preferred a M38A1 but I couldn't pass it up.
The problems
No battery cover, no windshield glass, original tops are old but kept in a shed separately (I don't expect them to last long), the passenger side between the door to the side bow is missing and it need alot of TLC to make it look good again. No title.
I paid $600
aallison

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picts would be really nice.

Sounds like a fantastic find. Wish I would find something like that......
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Shawn,
That is clearly a Heckuva deal! Very Happy

We have a wealth of accumalated knowledge here among our group members. Be sure to take advantage of it.

I'll email you a few checklists and survey forms to help get you started with your new project.

For now try to settle in with a good thorough systematic appraoch to her.

1-Inventory what you have. Take several hundred detailed photos of all parts of the jeep. Do not throw anything away. Do not destroy any markings until you have photographed and recorded them.

2-Get a list of applicable manuals and study them. (they're in my email to you.)

3-Decide where you are going with the jeep. IE Full blown resto, a little at a time or just a driver for now.

4-Write down your plan establishing short term easily attainable goals.

5-Learn who you have out there for vendors.

6-If you need a tool and you plan on a lot of mechanical and body work over the next few years then buy it. For the military jeep you need only a few special military vehicle tools. Most are for the water proof electrical and ignition system. Get them now.

Some tips on photos:
1-get a good digital camera and one that has a fast download system to your computer.

2-Get a good photo working program on your computer. You'll need this to annotate and add details to your photos to be used for reassembly later.

3-Join a photo gosting web site. Some are free and some you pay. IE I use
http://wsknettl.mypicgallery.com/
it cost me $11 a year but I have hundreds of photos stored there that I use to help me and others.

4-Make sure to not only take the pretty photos of the whole jeep but to work your way into the details. It is the detail photos that will save your bacon after you have had it apart for several months and are trying to figure what goes where.

Some tips for web site use. Try to listen to everyone. Visit more than one site regularly. Book mark evry site that will help your restoration. Organize your book marks towards that end. IE M170 sites, Project sites, Parts Suppliers, Yechnical data sites (organize these or file them by systems IE Engine, electrical Instruments, lighting, body, frame, suspension, drive line and etc.).

Most importantly, have fun!

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
keats

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats truely a great find. Does it have the reel light behind the drivers seat? Correct seats? Brent Mullins Jeep Parts has NOS tops with side curtains available. It sounds like you have most of the very hard to find parts on your jeep. If i can be of help let me know as I have restored a M170 also.

http://mvpimages.net/willys/gary.htm

Send me some detailed pictures when you have the chance. I sent you a private messsage also.
rdsar2k

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has all original seats including a funky passenger seat with two backrests. I have to look for the light. It's still at the guys house because I haven't towed it back yet. Appreciate the helpful start tips. I have been down the restoration road before but not on a military thing. I recently restored a bulldozer (JD 450C) to original and a Triumph TR3A. this looks like more fun though.
rdsar2k

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just talked to the guy I bought it from and he thinks he has "some of the manuals" and he also thinks he has the military maintenance log. I told him if he finds them it would be worth and extra 100.00 to me. I hope he finds them.
GIJOE290

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and Congrats! Very Happy

Can't wait to see photo's of it.

Cool
Serial #56535
"The Green Goat"

Restoration Begins Summer 2005! ...Er Maybe 2006? 2010? 2015? 202...?
hillbilly21

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: 170 Reply with quote

Cool Got to have PICTURES...great STEAL.......... Smile
BEAR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a great deal can't wait to see photo's Very Happy good luck with it all Surprised
Cheers Ray
rdsar2k

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pics as I found it. Keep in mind all the missing pieces are in a shed next to it and the jeep was buried under tarps.

http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc119/rdsar2k/M170/

keats

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide to buy it make sure you get what the present owner may have such as all the 24 volt stuff(generatior and regulator) the carb, any wiring, gauges and panel, etc. Anything that he may have removed! From the pictures it appears you have the lower stretcher racks laying in the back of the jeep. Look for the upper rack which is really hard to find, and the reel light also.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for all missing parts. Several of the M170 owners have posted some very detailed photos of their M170's. Use them to determine what is missing and try to gather it all up right there on pickup day. Some items in addition to Keat's list are the rest of the top and door steel frames, the canvas (don't throw ANYTHING away), spare wheel, battery box cover, slave receptacle, oil bath aircleaner, pre-cleaner, crossover duct, connecting hoses, YS950S carb, ignition leads, 24V generator, regulator, interconnecting cable assembly, military junior oil filter, fan, radiator, PCV valve and plumbing, switches & contols missing from dash, both fenders, dash data plate set, dash instrument cluster assembly, headlight/bucket assemblies, front marker lamps, BO driving light, and the Kaiser patent plate from the right rear wheelhouse.

Make up an itemized list and use it at pickup time as an inventory guide. What I've listed above is easily $3000 worth of parts.

I took the liberty of creating a photo album for you in our member's photo gallery. You can load and edit photos there for free.

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=rdsar2k&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: