Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - 1952 M170
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1952 M170

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rdsar2k

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: 1952 M170 Reply with quote

I know we have kicked this can but I thought I'd share some more discoveries.
Things that make it 1952
The original title from the military states my Jeep is a 1952.
The transfer case has a date in mid 1952.
My engine is of the early design where the exhaust valves have little caps over the ends versus the rotating valve spring retainer. Serial # 33289
The body of the Jeep has 52 stamped in the drivers rear corner.
Data plate says 1952 (though it looks like a repop)

Things that make it a 1955
There is no such thing as a 1952 M170
The serial # (11870) matches up to a 1955 M170 (though M38A1 serial #'s match up to 1952)
The patent plate seems original and it has 9 patents

I consider it a 1955 as it makes the most sense. I am assuming that the drive train was swapped out to an earlier vintage. I have no clue why the body was stamped 52 in the rear quarter panel. I go along with the sugestion that some private in the depot replaced missing plates with whatever he found and took a guess on the year. Just sharing what I have found for consideration.

Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

That is interesting, the title would go off the data plate that says 1952.

Since data plates are very easily removed and there are a lot of reproductions, I would be hesitant about it.

The drive train was also frequently changed out while in service. What was your engine serial number?

I know there were prototypes built before main production, but when those were built, I don't know (probably very close to the beginning of main production). I was thinking the first M170's started in 1954. If prototypes were built in very early 1953, then 1952 drive train could be possible.

Just some thoughts, it would be more likely that your vehicle has some mis-placed parts. Overall I think yours is a nice M170. Cool

I think your questions are very interesting.
rdsar2k

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Serial # Reply with quote

The engine serial # is MD 33289
hillbilly21

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: 170 Reply with quote

http://www.jeeptech.com/models/m170.htm

Take a look at this might help..I cant give you any info as mine is a 55 ...I am still reasearching it also..
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stamping of the dash serial plate is not the standard method of stamping. The character sets are too deep, the year only was discontinued during the M38 in May 1951. The type font is also incorrect. The Willys patent plate tells the true story. 1955 beyond any doubt.

That title is all typed by the Nebraska DMV clerk. They type on there what they are told. They also make lots of typos as in FOV where GOV belongs. There are thousands of US military vehicles registered at DMV's by the incorrect year and often by engine serial number which was the common practice at many DMV's up through the 70's. The DRMO document rarely lists the year of any MV. They usually only list the military model number and serial number.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes,
This reminds me of the questions that I've had about the correct serial number on my M38 - which you and I have discussed via email in the past. I went to the NJ DMV right before Thanksgiving to transfer the title and get it registered. The title was from 1982. While there, the DMV folks remarked how old it was and that the VIN would have to be lengthened/added to for current NJ DMV compliance. It was so old there were no records of the title in the NJ DMV data base so they faxed it down to their central computer area and loaded up a new VIN for the jeep.

The 1982 title, based on the stamped data plate, says that its delivery date as 01/53. We all know that's incorrect for an M38. When I was looking at the jeep with Dave Uhrig (he was extremely helpful and generous of his time and expertise) we determined that it was most likely a late 1952 M38 but the serial number, 228085, indicated a CJ3A number. Dave believes that when the vehicle came out of military use smeone went to a wrecking yard and got a number from a CJ3A and used that.

However, based on my above experience with the NJ DMV, I'm wondering if extra numbers got added in and if the manufacture date was changed due to a clerical error. Unfortunately the second data plate in the right rear wheel well is missing and there do not appear to be any numbers stamped on the engine block. All very curious. But in Dave's estimation from the photos (same as posted on my gallery site) it's definitely a late model M38.

Anyway, I just thought I would share this story along the same conversation line of the correct date of these vehicles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: