Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Clutch rod length
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clutch rod length

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nepperjepper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Clutch rod length Reply with quote

Can someone please tell me how lone the clutch rod is supposed to be on the m38.

The one I have is 10.5” long but seems too long. The pedals won’t line up even with the clevis adjusted all the way in.

Thanks Jeff
http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules/gallery/albums/Nepperjepper-m38-s/IMG_0475.thumb.jpg
http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules/gallery/albums/Nepperjepper-m38-s/IMG_0474.thumb.jpg
http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules/gallery/albums/Nepperjepper-m38-s/IMG_0476.thumb.jpg
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your clutch cross shaft installed correctly? It will go in either way but the longer of the two arms on it belongs on the engine side.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
nepperjepper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the long side is facing the transmission.

jeff
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your rod the original that came with your jeep?

Did the system work ok before with this same rod?

There are I believe 3 different length rods depending on jeep model plus those aftermarket rods that are floating around that were the wrong length. If the cable, cross shaft or rod is aftermarket then you should carefully read the quoted thread below from several years back.

Quote:
Interesting question. The M38 had three different cables. Early bellhousing used the WO 640124 ORD 7372821, late bellhousings used two different cables one without a seal assy WO 805935 ORD 8328129 TRU SA4126 and one with a seal assy WO 807488. I'll take a measurement tomorrow. In the mean time maybe Keith B can pick up on this.\
Wes K

The three should be the same length, the second two were introduced at the time of the late starter, both of them had provision to be used with the rubber bellows to waterproof the bellhousing. The latest of the second two used the part no 807488, which meant it included the rubber bellows with it when ordered. There was a supercession of the latter and that was 925897. One would have to refer to both the G740 (M-3, and the G-758(M-38A1) Parts manuals to get all the supercessions. I have counted at least 5 part numbers for the cable. The first, 640124 is the standard CJ-2A and CJ-3A Cable. you may have a problem with the 640123 Rod, it has sort of lost iis' true meaning as to accurate length with the aftermarket suppliers. (10 15/32) center to center is the correct length, and it tends to be out of tolerance when ordered from aftermarket suppliers by the vendors. Check your rod to see if it is 10 15/32". It is more likely the rod is the culprit, rather than hthe cable. The MB Cable will not work at all as it is too short to hook up with a T-90 System.
Joe
I doubt that it will even hook up, I would concentrate on an out of spec Cross shaft, or the length of the rod. Some of the Off shore (Gloss Black Cross shafts) have their levers welded in wrong position. I would buy the NOS French Hotchkiss ones that Army Jeep parts has, there are no errors on those.
Joel
The 640124 started life 10.25 inches from threaded end to the center of the ball. The ferule was 2-1/2 long and threaded 1-3/4 of it.

on 5/20/49 the 640124 was CHANGED to be 11.00 long, with a ferule 2-3/4 long with 2" of threads.

The 805935 Started 10.94 to 11.06 inches long, but on 4/21/52 was shortened to 10.75 to 10.87 (933889 was MD special 18.19 long!)

Joel is correct, the 807488 is the 805935 plus the 807471, 807449, 808934, and 807447 attached.

941234 is the later CJ/DJ cable at 13.62 inches.

640123 ??? good question. Likely changed each time the 640124 changed.

642624 ears were to be 180 degrees opposite. one hole 2-1/16 from center, the other 1-7/16 from center.

Without crawling uder the jeep to look, is it possible you put the cross shaft in backwards? Does the long arm connect to the pedal and short arm to the clutch cable?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
nepperjepper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:49 am    Post subject: Clutch rod Reply with quote

Nothing worked when I got the jeeps they were incomplete and had to be dragged on the trailer

Originally when I got the jeep it had a threaded rod with a clevis on both ends, but it’s long gone. The other jeeps I have don’t have any rods either.
The cross shafts are original and all the same.

I picked up the new rod at the mvpa convention in Evansville from a vender that said it was for a m38, don’t remember the one. The ball cable that goes to the clutch fork is the original and the same length as the others I have. About 10.25” long. After reading the quote you supplied I believe the ball cable is the right length and I will move ahead and work on the rod problem after I get the body on and can tell more about the pedal position.

Thanks for the info….Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: