Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Jeep M38A1 placeing body on the frame
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jeep M38A1 placeing body on the frame

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flemming_Clausen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:40 am    Post subject: Jeep M38A1 placeing body on the frame Reply with quote

Is there a drawing available that shows the location measurements for the body on the frame.I'm looking for help with placing the body on the frame. Measurement methods to place the body in the longitudinal direction. I'm looking for the distance from the rear cross member to the tailgate , or other solid distances, so I can locate the rigth placing of the body on the frame. I have these problem because the car was very rusty when I started the rebuilding of the body. My Jeep is a M38A1 from 1960.
kindly Flemming C
rdsar2k

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: This may be lame Reply with quote

My M170 has the rear frame crossmember flush with the aft end of the body. That would provide a "0" starting point for measurements. If no one has a drawing I would meaure the frame and using the body "0" (above) make the braces match the general location then with the body squared on the frame mark the final body mounting holes. I would ensure the grill and fenders will line up during this dry fit verifying the squareness to frame.
I believe the M38a1 is flush also
2008 Rubicon Unlimited MyGig
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the Willys universal jeeps start the body flush with the rear crossmember. The two front drop down brackets will get you centered left to right up front. The test layup should include all the mount spacers and rubbers as well. Then temp bolt up the front sheet metal for a test alignment. Shim the body mounts as needed to get the front sheet metal lined up. Fender must align with their mounts and when fastened to the grill they must form a close straight line with the side edges of the hood. Have you first checked the frame dimensional alignment? The measurements are in your TM 9-8015-2. The body R&R instructions are there as well.

Although you may start flush you may also end up slightly forward like this one after checking all alignments all the way to the grill.

This layout gives you parts locations.

These left and right #1 mounts will get you centered left to right for a good starting point.

Some considerations that can be adversely affected by tub mis-alignment that we often do not think of are the starter kick pedal to the starter arm, the steering column centered in it's hole, the brake/clutch pedals and the transfer case shift stalks. So ideally you will have the steering column, pedals, engine and transfer installed already.

Feel free to browse through the 100's of photos available on our photo album page and on my personal photo page http://wsknettl.mypicgallery.com/

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Flemming_Clausen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:01 am    Post subject: thanks for the answers Reply with quote

Tanks for the answers , it was wery help fuld, On the new parts I have got , the Mount 1, on the pictures from Wes are missing and the holes in the bracket are not drilled. maybe someone can tell me the distance from the vertical portion of the console to the center of the bracket to be bolted to the frame by mounting # 1 If anyone can help me get / find these 2 brackets which I lack, I would be very grateful. I can not find them in Denmark. I also wonder, where I can the TM 9-8015-2, I have the original supplymanual from the army.( Danish / Amerikan ) I havent seen it in Denmark. My biggest problem is that the 2 vertical mounting bracket at # 1 is missing, including holes in the triangular console by fire wall, where the 2 missing bracket should be attached to the body.
Kindly Flemming C.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the TM's are on the "Downloads" page of this web site. Just click on the one you want and dowmload it. Please note the 8015-2 has a few changes loaded seperately.

Some later units did not have the vertical brackets. In this case you will have to rely on the position of the toeboard (which you are calling "vertical portion of the console" gusset (which you refer to as "holes in the bracket ".
relative to the frame rails.

Late model replacement floor.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: