Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - USAF KIA
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USAF KIA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Announcements, News, Humor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: USAF KIA Reply with quote

I found this article in the USAF News Letter very moving and I think you will too. My son is in this business and you have to respect the dedication these folks have to Duty, Honor, and Country.

Wes K

PATRICK AIR FORCE BASE, Fla. (AFPN) -- Many of you have probably heard of the death of Airman 1st Class Elizabeth Jacobson. She was the first female Airman to die in the line of fire duty supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom, and the first Air Force security forces member to perish. She was only 21 years old.

Airman Jacobson died while providing convoy security near Camp Bucca, Iraq. An improvised explosive hit the vehicle in which she was riding Sept. 28. She was assigned to the 17th Security Forces Squadron at Goodfellow Air Force Base, Texas

I had the honor of being her family's liaison to the news media Oct. 9 at her funeral, since her hometown was in nearby in Riviera Beach. In addition to phone calls before the funeral, I got to spend about 45 minutes with Airman Jacobson's father, mother and stepmother.

This was probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life. What do you say to someone who has just lost a child? How does one sympathize without being able to empathize? I had never been to a funeral because I had never had anyone close to me pass away.

So I knew working with the family that it would be emotionally very difficult for me. I cannot imagine the sorrow parents must feel after losing their child.

Arriving at the funeral home near Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., the magnitude of the situation hit hard. I didn't feel worthy to console the family because finding words was so difficult.

However, something happened when I walked in to meet the parents. They were so thankful to have Air Force members at the funeral, including Col. Scott Bethel, commander of the 17th Training Wing at Goodfellow; Maj. Kenneth O'Neil, 17th SFS commander; and Chaplain (Maj.) Peggy Wilkins and the honor guard from Patrick.

David Jacobson, Airman Jacobson's father, told us stories about Elizabeth. He spoke of her love of the Air Force and her security forces duties; her desire to be a chief master sergeant someday; and the way she always volunteered to do the jobs no one else wanted. The fateful convoy mission was one such duty she had tried to get for a long time, rather than be in the guard tower where it was relatively safe.

The part that was so surprising to me was the outpouring of support her family bestowed on the military members, for the jobs we all have to do to protect this nation. There were no sentiments of bitterness or anger toward the military.

"People don't understand that if we don't win the war in Iraq, the United States will not exist," Mr. Jacobson said. "Elizabeth liked being a troop and was so proud. She made the ultimate sacrifice for our nation and the cause of freedom."

I felt rushes of humility and pride as they laid her to rest with all her mourners around her -- seeing our honor guard perform the ceremony, hearing "Taps" and hearing and feeling the flyover of two T-38s Talon aircraft.

I have never been as proud to be a member of the Air Force as I was that Sunday.

It made me realize that even though some of us haven't deployed, haven't directly supported Operation Iraqi Freedom or the global war on terrorism, we all play a vital role to protect the citizens of the United States.

We just have to do our jobs with honor and with the love that Airman Jacobson showed for her job -- and that her family showed for her and all of us who wear the uniform.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
DJ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite sure how to post ,hope this works,

This is an Airman's response to Cindy Williams' editorial piece in the Washington Times about MILITARY PAY, it should be printed in all newspapers across America.

On Nov. 12, Ms Cindy Williams (from Laverne and Shirley TV show) wrote a piece for the Washington Times, denouncing the pay raise(s) coming service members' way this year -- citing that the stated 13% wage was more than they deserve.

A young airman from Hill AFB responds to her article below. He ought to get a bonus for this.

"Ms Williams:

I just had the pleasure of reading your column, "Our GIs earn enough" and I am a bit confused. Frankly, I'm wondering where this vaunted overpayment is going, because as far as I can tell, it disappears every month between DFAS (The Defense Finance and Accounting Service)and my bank account.

Checking my latest earnings statement I see that I make $1,117.80 before taxes. After taxes, I take home $874.20. When I run that through the calculator, I come up with an annual salary of $13,413.60 before taxes, and $10,490.40 after.

I work in the Air Force Network Control Center where I am part of the team responsible for a 5,000 host computer network. I am involved with infrastructure segments, specifically with Cisco Systems equipment. A quick check under jobs for Network Technicians in the Washington, D.C. area reveals a position in my career field, requiring three years experience with my job. Amazingly, this job does NOT pay $13,413.60 a year. No, this job is being offered at $70,000 to $80,000 per annum...I'm sure you can draw the obvious conclusions. Given the tenor of your column, I would assume that you NEVER had the> pleasure of serving your country in her armed forces Before you take it upon yourself to once more castigate congressional and DOD leadership for attempting to get the families in the military's lowest pay brackets off of WIC and food stamps, I suggest that you join a group of deploying soldiers headed for AFGHANISTAN; I leave the choice of service branch up to you.

Whatever choice you make, though, opt for the SIX month rotation: it will guarantee you the longest possible time away from your family and friends, thus giving you full "deployment experience." As your group prepares to board the plane, make sure to note the spouses and children who are saying good-bye to their loved ones. Also take care to note that several families are still unsure of how they'll be able to make ends meet while the primary breadwinner is gone -- obviously they've been squandering the "vast" piles of cash the government has been giving them. Try to deploy over a major holiday; Christmas and Thanksgiving are perennial favorites. And when you're actually over there, sitting in a foxhole, shivering against the cold desert night; and the flight sergeant tells you that there aren't enough people on shift to relieve you for chow, remember this: trade whatever MRE (meal-ready-to-eat) you manage to get for the tuna noodle casserole or cheese tortellini, and add Tabasco to everything.This gives some flavor. Talk to your loved ones as often as you are permitted; it won't nearly be long enough or often enough, but take what you can get and be thankful for it. You may have picked up on the fact that I disagree with most of the points you present in your opened piece. But, tomorrow from KABUL, I will defend to the death your right to say it.

You see, I am an American fighting man, a guarantor of your First Amendment rights and every other right you cherish. On a daily basis, my brother and sister soldiers worldwide ensure that you and people like you can thumb your collective nose at us, all on a salary that is nothing short of pitiful and under conditions that would make most people cringe. We hemorrhage our best and brightest into the private sector because we can't offer the stability and pay of civilian companies.

And you, Ms. Williams, have the gall to say that we make more than we deserve? Rubbish!

A1C Michael Bragg Hill AFB AFNCC

IF YOU AGREE, PLEASE PASS THIS ALONG TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE AND SHOW OUR SUPPORT OF THE AMERICAN FIGHTING MEN AND WOMEN. THANK YOU.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Announcements, News, Humor All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: