Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - engine serial
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

engine serial

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
major519

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: engine serial Reply with quote

Where can I find my engine serial on my M38A1CDN3?

Also, I do have a rebuild tag which is difficult to read but appears to have an RMD prefix and I think 4 or 5 digits. Any help on this???
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine serial is on the small flat above the water pump. That is a small ledge of the block deck that sticks out about 3/4" and when the block deck gets machined that number is often removed or very hard to see it's remnants.

The RMDXXXXX on your rebuild tag is the same number found on that small ledge above the water pump. The R prefix ID's the block as a factory new replacement MD engine. That new replacement engine would have left the factory with the RMDXXXXX serial on the ledge above the water pump.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
major519

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes

I did check this area as I thought thats where it would be but it appears smooth without a number. Just by luck and a good trouble light I could makeout a rebuild tag on the side of the motor near the bottom, hard to read details as they appear to be inscribed via electro pencil and they are not easy to read. I could make out RMD-xxxx as well as a WO number but will have to wait until another time to crawl under and get a better look....
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use some red scotchbrite pad and brake cleaner on the flat above the water pump and then use a strong glareless lamp from either side shining across the pad and you will be surprised at how faint a remaining number can still be seen. You'll get annoyed by the thermostat well on the head but you could remove the head.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
SGT-HOOAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking to get a m38a1 and the only number that the owner has is RM062004 , I think it is suppose to be RMD62004. There is not a data plate in front of the passenger seat, nor behind the passenger seat.
Is there a way to link this number to a serial number, also should I be concerned that both plates are missing.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any concern on the missing data plates depends on what serial (VIN) number is on your title. If the engine number is on your title then you are ok for a marketable title but still have no idea what true model year and DOD your jeep is. If you title has another numberon it then you should move quickly to get that number on a replacement data plate and on your dash.

An RMDXXXXX engine is a factory new spare engine off the shelf that would have been installed in your jeep in the field. So the engine number is of no help in arriving at a serial range or DOD range for your jeep.

SGT-HOOAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes k

The title is that of RM062004

1) For this vehicle we just have to guess that it is a 1955?, Army?, Location use?
2) Is the Value of the vehicle effected by no plates ( i can replace with new plates)
3) is there a standard reason that both the serial plates would be missing?, all the other plates on the dash are there.

Thanks
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually when the both the dash serial plate and the wheel house patent plate are missing someone has used them to title another jeep. It does happen occasionally and when you buy a jeep with a serial on the title or bill of sale and no serial or patent plates it can turn into a mess when you show up at DMV for a title transfer and their standard VIN search shows the other jeep titled already with that serial. Since he has the data plates you loose. They usally refuse to give you your title back until you can prove you did not steal the jeep.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: