Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - 1947 Willys Jeep worth 2500?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1947 Willys Jeep worth 2500?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dogbosser14

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: 1947 Willys Jeep worth 2500? Reply with quote

Well Being that I am enlisting this October I would like to restore a vehicle. I have talked to my mom which thinks I should not get it, but its a part of history. If i dont buy it it might dissapear for good. But anyways it doesnt seem to be worth 2500 in my terms and i have to idea where to post this but i am posting it here, if this is wrong spot please tell me. the body tub is rusty and probably needs to be replaced. back lights are cracked. wheels have tire rot, doors rusted bad, floor rusted bad. all the glass is cracked and needs to be replace. fenders bent, and the engine runs good is what the guy said but it needs a new gas pump. One of the cross supports are torn off and broke from the chassy... here are some of the picture. I would be deeply happy if someone would tell me there opinion of the price.

oh seats there and the back door is there to. lights need to be replaced and wiring needs to be replace because its not right. has a 12 volt battery in it and wires look bad...

will post pics in a minute. ty for reading[/img]
dogbosser14

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is all the pictures i have of it.
dogbosser14

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has a original steel topper to it. have no idea what the topper is called or if it is original. any info will help me. thank you alot. The guy told me it was a milatary jeep but someone turned it into a vehicle for someones trapping buisness. so they had it repainted and added decals. i think it was a blue before from looing at underneath the fenders. but have no clue one so ever. cant really find info on this.
MODIFIED

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks to me like its a civvy CJ-2A ...not a M38, MB, or GPW.
kenperkins

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to side with your mom on this one. that would be an expensive rebuild
'51 M38 #22936,
'51 M100 Dunbar
'53 M100 Dunbar
M416b1
2- M762
MVPA #11788
MVCC LIFER
BullRun

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my opinion but I'll try to help.

If it has the original engine and not a V8 or some other engine like a Pinto engine I think this has possibilities. In todays world originalty is what holds value. This looks pretty original. The engine should be flat on top and say Willys and or possibly JEEP too. If it has the original engine then you have a good starting point. If the original engine is gone I say pass and wait to find another one which you will... it always happens.

This is a CJ2A. Not military. But I would not let that bother you unless you really wanted a WW2 jeep. The CJ2A is a great jeep too. All the flat fender jeeps seem super small by todays standards and I think highly collectable. When you are done, military or not, you will have people asking about it everywhere you go.

I have seen jeeps like this go from $400 to $3000. It really depends on your local market for jeeps. But, for a vehicle this old and unrestored, prices are usually negotiable. Do you need a title in your area?

Recently a local to me '46 CJ2A column shift with an original PTO drum on the back for a belt, unrestored, non running in good condition, no top, went on the market for $6000. I am sure they got it too. So, $2500 might not be crazy especially if it has an original running engine with full oil pressure.

Condition wise it looks about average to worse for a 60+ year old vehicle. Looks like usual rust. The body will need a lot of work but is salvageable.

A CJ2A hard top is not that common and worth part of the price of the vehicle. Sort of a package deal. Keep the hard top for the winter and save that heater it looks original too.

Whatever rust you can see there is probably just as much you can't see till it is taken apart. If you do it yourself you will need to learn how to weld (take professional classes at a school or vo-tec kind of place) and do body work plus the mechanical stuff too.

I figure a ball park plus or minus of around $10,000 over time to properly restore a jeep. Thats just a number it could be more or less. There are to many variables to be exact. On a part-time basis it could take 3 to 4 years work. You'll need about the space of a 2 car garage and lots of tools.

If you buy it keep it intact as long as possible and take pictures, video, notes anything to remember what it looked like before or it will turn into a puzzle with no solution.

Do you have a place to store it? Indoors?

If you really want it ... get a negotiated price, and expect this to be a long term project of possibly many years before you can drive it. Along the way you'll learn all kinds of obscure stuff that will bore your friends and family but is fascinating anyway. Very Happy
Zane

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks to have the original harrison heater as well, those are getting hard to find.
dogbosser14

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has the original willys motor to it. So hes lying or mis vied that it wasnt a milatary jeep. The oil pressure is strong. it has a mn title. it has 4 wheel drive and 2 wheel drive on the transmission. has a heater. windshield wiper. I know how to weld good from school and my dads a a proffisional welder. It would have to be stored outside which is sad. I have no garage but 2 sheds that has all my tools. I would like it, had a friend call the guy and he said lowest he would go would be 1500. or 500 with a trade. I would like it. Would anyone be willing to help me out if i had questions. I have went through other postings but this is the best forum that i found on the web. seems theres alot of people that care about the jeeps they have and that is good.
RICKG

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogbosser, in your 1st paragraph you indicated you were enlisting in october-we salute you. Do you have a place to keep it while you
perform your service to country? If you do decide to purchase this
jeep i would recommend that you leave it intact until you have
completed your term of enlistment. For a 1st time jeep restorer
it's not easy to remember how everything re-assembles when its been
sitting in boxes for a while. And remember that a quality resto can/will
take years and a lot of $$$$. What ever you decide-GOOD LUCK, and
we're all here to help..
BullRun

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next question. Can the jeep move under its own power, even a few feet. Is the gearbox locked up or stuck?

For $1500 and a local sale with no expensive shipping involved ... I would say go for it. You can always resell it later for the same money.

Since you know how to weld there really is nothing you can not fix on this jeep yourself in regard to body work.

With boot camp ahead and the new directions that will take you... spend the summer getting it drivable even if just in a field. Don't take it apart! Taking it apart will instantly devalue the jeep to nearly nothing till it is put back together. As long as it is 1 piece you have not lost any money.

With a hard top it will weather the seasons very well. The hard top is really why it still exists. Get a form fitting cover from Surplus City or Beechwood Canvas for it. The jeep will be waiting for you.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were all young once. I owned seven cars when I got drafted. Sold all but one during my first year in the service. I didn't make any profit nor did I break even.

So think hard about where you stand right now and where will you be standing a year from now. That 2A is not rare. The hard top is not rare. Even though $1500 sounds a lot more reasonable than $2500 I still wouldn't pay $1500 for it. I had two rust bucket 2A's given to me in the last three years and I parted them out.

If you still can't control the urge to buy make sure you at least ask these same questions on Sean's CJ2A page and boards.
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/forums.html

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
dogbosser14

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the jeep runs and I think i will rent a storage shed somewhere if i get it. The engine runs good and strong. just needs alot of body work is what i am seeing. I will do the resotration myself if i manage to get it. Everything works well is what he told me. lights need to be replace and glass... Thank you for your help everyone.
RICKG

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"HE" KEEPS TELLING YOU THAT EVERYTHING WORKS. WILL HE PROVE
IT BY LETTING YOU GET SOME STEERING WHEEL TIME??
Balvar24

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
We were all young once. I owned seven cars when I got drafted. Sold all but one during my first year in the service. I didn't make any profit nor did I break even.

So think hard about where you stand right now and where will you be standing a year from now. That 2A is not rare. The hard top is not rare. Even though $1500 sounds a lot more reasonable than $2500 I still wouldn't pay $1500 for it. I had two rust bucket 2A's given to me in the last three years and I parted them out.

If you still can't control the urge to buy make sure you at least ask these same questions on Sean's CJ2A page and boards.
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/forums.html

Quoted for truth. You need to read this agian and wait a few days before you decide. At $2500 it isn't going to move too fast.
BullRun

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have to rent storage for this jeep. Don't buy it. Generally, nothing works well on vehicles this old in this kind of condition.

Wait till you can have a better situation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> For Sale All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: