Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - My M170
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My M170

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
12Bravo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: My M170 Reply with quote

I just picked up a 1962 M170 that's been "bubba'd" with a civilian top. Good news is the tub is in good shape and all data plates are present and match. It has been converted to 12V. It needs the fuel tank cleaned out and 2 small holes fixed along with a new sending unit and the brake system needs redone. I would like to put different seats in it than what is there now, I know that the correct M170 seats are hard to find. What other seats could I use to keep the military look to the jeep? I have part of the spare tire mount but all the ambulance specific (litter mounts) are gone. I want to restore it but I know that finding all the correct parts will be hard. I am going to keep it as original looking as possible given the lack of parts available for the M170
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M170 served in more ways then just the Ambulance. It was used as a crago truck and a radio truck.

M38A1 seats can be adapted.

Google USMC MRC radio jeeps.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
12Bravo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would I use a driver and passenger seat from a M38A1 or use 2 passenger seats? From looking at pictures in old manuals the M170 driver seat mounts like the passenger seat. I would love to find the correct seats but must be realistic when trying to "un-bubba" it.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use two passenger seats. You should be able to see the interference problems you will have. The driver's seat has the hand brake lever closer than a standard width M38A1 pax seat will allow. On the passenger side the tool box is not wide enough for the standard M38A1 pax seat so you would have to relocate the spare and add a support bracket for the right leg and a bracket for the right rear of the seat.

My preference would be to get several feet of 1" chrome moly tube and fabricate two replacement seats.

Or take a stock CJ jeep front seat and cut it down and modify it to fit in the same space as the stock M170 seats.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
12Bravo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
Or take a stock CJ jeep front seat and cut it down and modify it to fit in the same space as the stock M170 seats.

That is probably what I will do.
rdsar2k

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: M170 Seats Reply with quote

I have been in M170 parts search mode for a long time. Just finishing up on accumulating parts for the second one. All parts pop up over time. Definately can't be in a hurry. I have gotten them from all over the world literally. The hardest were the stretcher racks for sure. Seats pop up and they are expensive so it is a test of your dedication to originality.
In your search though I would ask you to keep me in mind as I will in return. I need the bracket that holds the stretcher handle on the drivers side wheel well to have all parts for the resto in wait.
I think I have sold all my spares recently but do have the tool box lids (all three) left. I also have a windshield frame (limited parts to it) that is clean except there are rust holes on the plate for the gasket. I was going to use it as is thinking the gasket would cover it up but found another in a parts run out of state.
2008 Rubicon Unlimited MyGig
12Bravo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info rdsar2k. I am missing both original seats, spare tire brackets,black out drive light, and and all the stretcher brackets. Everything else body wise is there. My main thing is to find some type of seats so I can remove the "bubba" top and get the tank and brakes fixed so I can at least drive it while looking for everything else. I just posted the hood numbers in a new thread.
12Bravo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My jeep came with door and I'm wondering if they are actual M170 doors or off of a civilian jeep

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Civilian CJ6 uses the same shaped door on both sides. No big long spare tire opening on the CJ6. So the doors you have certainly look like they fir an M170.

The WeeBee Webbing site should have all your answers
http://www.odcloth.com/1955m170.html

Another site for you M170 guys to get very familiar with is:
http://www.vintagemilitarytrucks.com/M170_Willys_Jeep_Ambulance_Page.htm

[img][/img]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: