Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Engine colors
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine colors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Engine colors Reply with quote

What were the colors of the stamped steel parts,oil pan,valve covers both top and side,breather.
Oldsalt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't say what jeep you have. I found this list on the forum for an M38A1 a while back and copied it to keep.

M38A1 painting data.

1-Body 2430 OD.

2-Radiator guard 2430OD

3- Radiator Semi Gloss Black

4-Upper grill support rods possibly early 2430 OD and later and many NOS are black.

5-Basic engines 2430 OD.

6-Valve cover black

7-Side valve cover and pan were 2430 OD.

8-Oil filter housing & brackets black,

9-Air cleaner housing & brackets black.

10-Air cleaner pre-filter 2430 OD.

11-Starter, generator, generator brackets & regulator black.

12-Frame 2430 OD.
madmike

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if it's an USMC A1 ( at least a later one), almost everything on the engine is USMC green, including the valve covers. My top valve cover was black under the green and the decal was on the green. I have seen a picture of a USMC engine done by someone? that had the covers green as well. Some doubt exists on the oil filter brackets and air cleaner for the USMC. Mine were painted USMC green but the engine went thru a rebuild at Fort Ord in the mid sixties and is not original to the jeep. The brackets were green when I got it but I see black underneath. Same with the air cleaner. Could not see where the decals were on the air cleaner but I would think that part is original to the jeep but not the oil filter. Radiator and fan black.

I hope yours is an army jeep. It's easier to find the correct info. Good luck.
Just my findings so far and 2 cents worth. I'm still learnin'.
Mike
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike you are probably correct on the mid 1960's and on Marine contract jeeps. The 1952 thru 1955 US Army procured jeeps for the Marines would have had 2430 on the engine and later maybe a coat of Marine Forest Green applied in the field over the 2430..

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
madmike

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parts/engine was definitely the forest green and I also noticed that at some point, some parts (valve cover, oil filter, radiator support rods) were painted gloss forest green. I can only guess that was done at the time of the engine swap. The fenders, tub, interior were all semi gloss. Under the hood, I had to determine gloss vs semi, but found that when I got rid of the OD green overspray the depot put on, and buffed the paint, it was semi gloss.

One strip of original paint that was still in good shape was under the windshield gasket. I am saving that strip in my restoration since it is not normally seen.

Also, since this is a 3/61 build, it was the first of the Kaiser jeeps. I have to wonder if they didn't use some previous/different/old parts. I have the old style air filter rather than the flat top and George at Army Jeep Parts said that all USMC 60's jeeps had the flat top. I also have a mixture of Douglas and Packard wiring, mostly Douglas. I suppose the wire loom could have been changed out but the temp and the oil pressure sending units are set up for the metal clips. I really wonder how much original stuff is still on this unit. I was thinking about changing the wire loom but would want to be certain which one was on the jeep. Question

#@$%@, I wish this thing could talk. But then it might be a woman and never stop. Never mind Shocked
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When dealing with half century + old jeeps built by a third rate company (not quality but financial standing) we must always avoid those finite and limiting terms such as: every, all, never, only, always and we should temper our "I know my jeep is factory original" to sound more like "I think some of my jeep is factory original" since it would be very difficult to ascertain any individual part's original chassis installation short of atomic testing!

Poor or financially strapped car companies did what they had to do and often used parts left over from another run or even in Willys/Kaiser's case used military surplus parts in their new production.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
madmike

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will change from mostly original to "I HOPE my jeep has some original parts on it".

Wes..I would like your opinion and anyone else who might want to chime in, about the wiring in this jeep. I have mostly Douglas connectors. Only the tail lights were changed to Packard and knowing this jeep had rear end damage from an accident while in service, I suspect they replaced the lights at that time.

All the other connectors are metal shielded, including the dimmer switch, horn leads, headlights, engine sending units, etc. What do you think the chances are that this wiring was completely switched from newer style to older style? Would the military have gone to that extent to make a change to the older style? And then add Packard connectors after that. I believe the engine change may have been done around late 1966, using the data tag on the engine for evidence, but do not know when the body damage was done, other than before 1973 when it was sold off.

Appreciate your "take" on this. Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: