Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - USAF markings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USAF markings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
evanso1975

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: USAF markings Reply with quote

Hello All,

My M38 was devoid of any legible markings when I bought it, but I know it has Strata Blue all over the jeep, so I intend marking it up as a vehicle of the US 3rd Air Force (based in the UK in the 50's). It is also apparent that the front & rear bumpers and front grille on my jeep were painted white on top of the OD base colour, not blue. I have a pdf copy of TO 36-1-3, but this is a May 1993 copy and I don't know how correct the information within it would be for a 1951 M38. Looking on the internet, I have seen photos of M38's with the registration number below the doors, so I'm guessing this would be correct for my jeep. I intend to generate a registration number using the patent plate serial number as a basis (so as not to cheat anyone).

Are there any specific websites or other reference sources out there that could help? From period photos, I have a pretty good idea of how most of the markings should go, but what about tactical markings? Did the air force apply unit markings to the bumpers, like the army did? And how did they work?

I know this is a big ask, but hopefully someone out there will be able to help.

Thanks in advance,
Owen.

1951 US Air Force M38
1944 F-1 1/2-ton Airdrome Trailer
1940 C15 Chevrolet CMP 11-cab
1939 DKW KS200 Motorcycle
MVT # 19406
evanso1975

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I found this old post on G503 (I think Wes posted it):

"Markings depend on the period you are representing with the jeep.
1945 thru 1950 would have been OD with just an "F: added to the Army hood registration number and USAF unit numbers per the Army Air Corps guidance.
1950 thru about 1952 was the transition to the Strata Blue and initially saw white lettering. The switch to the early USAF registration numbers also occurred about this time (one letter followed by 4 or 5 numeral).
1952 thru 55 saw the swing to Yellow lettering and the newer USAF registration numbering that used the last two digits of the year followed by a vehicle use ID letter followed by the a series of numerals."

Regarding the later (52 thru 55) markings, I understand the serial numbers worked as follows:

YYU ####

YY - last 2 digits of year
U - vehicle use code (i.e. K for general purpose military)
#### - serial number

Question: would the year be the year the vehicle was delivered (51 in the case of mine) or the year it was stencilled up in this style (54, for example)? The vehicle year would make more sense, but I have no info to confirm this.

Thanks in advance,
Owen.

1951 US Air Force M38
MVT # 19406
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The year was originally the year of the contract or the year of the contract amendment under which this vehicle was delivered.

Bumper markings were not anything like the Army. They were quite simple.

The standard abbreviation for the Squadron or Wing assigned to and the standard 4 or 5 letters used for the base.

So if your jeep was assigned to base ops at Barksdale AFB LA in 1960 it would have:

2BW __________________________________ BAFB

The director of wing operations reported directly to the BW commander so his entire unit would use vehicles with the BW designation. Had it been the 317th ARS (Air Refueling Squadron)operations then the 317ARS would have been used. Quite simple and very localized with unit commanders having a lot of Manual/Reg supplement authority. You will also find the base ID amusing. Without a unit on the left BAFB could easily be Beale AFB CA, Blytheville AFB AR, and etc. Also more then 4 letters were often used such as KISAFB for KI Sawyer AFB MI or WPAFB for Wright-Patterson AFB OH.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
evanso1975

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Wes, much appreciated. The wide variety of bumper markings on air force jeeps in the late 40's/early 50's were starting to get confusing. Mad This one for instance:

http://www.ruislip.co.uk/images/base19492.JPG

Which being pre-1950 is more like the WWII army air force markings....

Thanks again,
Owen.

1951 US Air Force M38
MVT # 19406
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Air Force became an Independent service after the 1948 Defense Reorganization Act. 1948 thru 1952 was a very busy transition period. We find a lot of odd looking markings during this period. Many were a mix of old and new.

The photo you mention:

This looks like:

?? TAD __________________________7500 ABG 22

TAD = Tactical Air Defense or Tactical Air Detachment

ABG = Air Bas Group

22 = 22 Vehicle in the group.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Last edited by wesk on Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
evanso1975

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Wes. That first symbol on the bumper looks like it could be the Army Air Forces symbol shown in AR850-5 (1945 - 1954 edition).....

1951 US Air Force M38
MVT # 19406
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: