Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Greek M38A1
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greek M38A1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thunderbird712

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Greek M38A1 Reply with quote

First time posting on here. Site looks great and packed full of stuff and look forward to digging into everything. Now to my questions. I have a M38A1 that was originally in Greece. We bought it from a bunch of M38s and A1s 10 years ago. Not until now have we done a frame up restoration on it. Of course the data plates were all missing. However I did find some numbers stamped on the frame behind the front bumper on the drivers side. The numbers are as follows 21212-01-002 and right below that 009-20999713. From doing some research the 20999713 looks to me as the registration number or what would be the hood number correct? I was told that this makes it fall somewhere in late 52( source unknown). With that the 21212 number seems to fall in that time frame as well as the serial number which would have been found on the data plate when I look into your database. Now that is a total assumption and I wanted to find out if that is true or these are just random numbers stamped into the frame by the Greeks when they had the jeep. I am hoping I can get some information about this jeep. I will be filling out the survey as soon as I can.
Thanks!
match

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderbird, not sure about the numbers, but my red NEKAF M38A1 has the serial number crudely stamped in the same location as your numbers (driver's side frame rail, right behind the front bumper). I haven't seen any other references to numbers in this location, but I haven't been studying this very long (about 2 weeks) ! I will try to look at my other NEKAF units this weekend and post my findings...
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willys did not stamp any serial or registration numbers on the frame. The M38A1 left Willys with only the serials on the dash serial plate and the right rear wheel house patent plate which were the same and the serial on the top front of the block which was not related to the vehicle serial number.

However many overhaul and repair facilities would normally stamp the hood number and sometimes the serial number of the vehicle on the frame since the tub and frame were often separated for long periods during depot overhauls. Foreign countries who acquired these jeeps also often stamped the serial numbers on the frame rail.

Your guess on the hood registration number is a good one. 20999713 would have been a Nov/Dec 1953 M38A1 with a serial in the MD66XXX range. I think the 21212 # is part of a part number for the frame rail boxing plates. A M38A1 with serial MD21212 would be a Sep 1952 M38A1 with a hood # in the 2096XXXX range.

Is your cowl battery box cover retained with screws or a latch? Is your grill a hinged or fixed unit?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Thunderbird712

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew they didnt stamp any numbers on the frame so when I didnt have the data plates I was disappointed I wouldnt be able to nail down anything about the jeep. So when I found those numbers I was a little confused and happy I might have something. I didnt know they stamped the numbers in the frames and overhaul and repair facilities. As I did more reading after the original post and looking through your data base I relized as you stated that those two numbers really dont connect with each other. I believe it would be a safe assumption that the number of 20999713 is the hood registration number. Do you agree? The jeep doesnt have a hinged grill and the battery box cover is a latch type which makes more sense that the jeep is a Nov/Dec 53 rather then a Sep 52. That was confusing me as well when I started looking at your data base. Having the correct hood registration number is more important to me then having my repo data plates stamped with a serial number. Having the correct numbers on the hood would be great.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a title for the jeep? If so what serial or VIN is on it?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Thunderbird712

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we purchased the jeep 11 years ago it didnt come with any paper work from Greece with it. So we dont have a title for it with an original number on it. Since at the time we didnt know that the numbers were on the frame we had to come up with a serial number in order to register it in NY.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: