Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - What would consist of a suitable puller?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What would consist of a suitable puller?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
army_inc

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: What would consist of a suitable puller? Reply with quote

Ok guys. I'm making my secondary frame my primary since Bubba butchered my primary frame. I'm trying to get the secondary frame ready for sandblasting. Anyways, I'm trying to drop the front axle, but before I get to that part, I want to disconnect the steering tie rods from the wheel steering nuckles. I went to the Auto store to rent a puller. Well, I ended up trying two and both just don't seem right. I don't think I was explaining it well enough or maybe I did and they didn't understand. The tie rod puller kit they gave me at first seemed WAAAAAY too big. Anyone have the "technical name" of one I can rent so I can get these little boogers off? The book say use a "suitable puller" so I'm assuming that would be a tie rod puller, it's just the one I got yesterday seemed like the wrong one to me. Any help?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You separate tie rod ends with a Pickle Fork. Or ball joint separator tool.
http://www.amazon.com/K-Tool-International-KTI71502-Separator-Pickle/dp/B000BHNZRM

I always undue the nut and crack the joint on it's outer side sharply with a 8 oz or larger ballpeen hammer and they pop right apart. The fork is for the tough ones.

There are fancier tools and pullers that have been introduced over the years to better control rod end damage for the modern rack&pinion steering systems. Also for the pitman arm.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/search_keyword.asp?keyword=Tie+Rod+Tools

[img]http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/public/fqJEij5ICBFM5aPy7fG8Bkb51yf3DT_z5kOH3ZqEsxMED3uQj8SNCU6L7zMke8tXCpibHHijzTc1p8v8UBOy4l_nQ5wn25C61RF_klAPsuJ83AySBdeyTYUFG30TJIpZXLWJ0Jx5j0W8Z_1ZoghYlMOGvrw1xbbMct75zc0MeMWseV6j6R9Un7JZEc6Nvze5oXq5v8fIQVdPBpxdYIwRKB5uYn0H2icuL6Un12wE4cco3b6jiA2fh6LUGom4fqpf2cDM_R-YC4Or0_CAXYooY4-qmaU4uxhuyHmGtC4nnNgfI8S0NkPYNmrx8T15yAN3nuBMYVcjZNd3auLgpCpWaIc[/img]

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Last edited by wesk on Tue May 08, 2012 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
army_inc

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm trying to take the tie rod off of the steering knuckle. I may have worded it wrong. so try a nice hard hit with an 8 oz ballpeen hammer? That would cause the tie rod to be removed from the knuckle? I'll give it a try.
jimm

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:

I always undue the nut and crack the joint on it's outer side sharply with a 8 oz or larger ballpeen hammer and they pop right apart. The fork is for the tough ones.

I've had fairly good success with a slight variation of this technique: After loosening the nut, I back the rod end up with the heaviest hammer I have that will fit in the space on one side, and then whack it good directly opposite the backup with my 2 lb ball peen hammer. Sometimes it takes multiple blows before it pops loose. If still no go after that, time for the pickle fork.
The good thing about the hammer technique is that it doesn't destroy the rubber boots like the pickle fork does, but it is hard on good paint job.
army_inc

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the ballpeen hammer and it worked like a charm. I was able to disconnect the tie rods and the entire front axle from the frame. Very excited as I will soon be swapping parts from the old frame to this new one Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: