Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Does anyone know the correct size
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does anyone know the correct size
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deadguy

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Does anyone know the correct size Reply with quote

Of the military windshield weather seal for a M38a1? I bought a seal from kaiser-willys, and the glass place tells me it is too short. They say the correct gasket should be 14 7/16 inches, and the one I got is 13 something.
Marine core reinforced rear bumper, military transistorized turn signal upgrade, arctic heater, 11" drum brakes, 200L PTO winch, Huffy overdrive, deep water fording kit, RT 68 vehicle mounted radio, Trac Locs front and rear.
www.danhenk.com
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your M38A1 ORD 9 SNL G-758 parts manual gives the lengths on page 321 under filler for the divider strip and the main gasket and on page 326 for the main windshield weatherseal and the cowl seal.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Deadguy

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like it says "80 feet". That's possible all the way around, and still seems too long. Does anyone know, left to right, how long the gasket is?
Marine core reinforced rear bumper, military transistorized turn signal upgrade, arctic heater, 11" drum brakes, 200L PTO winch, Huffy overdrive, deep water fording kit, RT 68 vehicle mounted radio, Trac Locs front and rear.
www.danhenk.com
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will measure mine when I get home from work in the morning if you havent gotten an answer by then.
'51 USMC M100 trailer, '54 M100 trailer, '90 M101a1 trailer
Http://wilfreeman.wordpress.com (M38a1 build blog)
http://m38a1usmc.wordpress.com (USMC M38a1 rebuild blog)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
looks like it says "80 feet"

You need to look at page 321. It answers your question that you posted about the 13 1/2" piece.

Is there another size question you are now asking?

Why not post what part numbers you are receiving from the dealer?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Deadguy

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I got from Kaiser-Willy's
http://www.kaiserwillys.com/product/1922/willys-jeep-weatherseals-windsheild-parts-accessories
The glass place, which I just talked to on the phone today, says the seal I have is 13 and something inches, and for the windshield I need 14 7/16". Looking at the parts manual. I see
Weatherseal, ru, 134.74 in. lg (windshield glass)
Does that mean 13 1/2 inches? And if so, do I have the wrong windshield for an M38A1? The glass place, which has been putting windshields on Jeeps for decades, says I have a military frame, the CJs have the slightly smaller windshield
I ordered what I assume is a different, correct one from Midwest Military, and Kaiser Willy says I can return the one I bought from them. I'm just trying to figure out if the Midwest Military one solves my problems.
www.danhenk.com
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manual means the rubber gasket is 134 3/4"long (the piece that fits to the windshield frame). The rubber divider was separate in the early days. I would say the glass is the 13 something inches in height (I dont know for sure). Kaiser Willys gets their gaskets the same place as the rest of the dealers (thats what they told me), so it isn't a chinese piece (I specifically asked that question).

Last edited by wilfreeman on Mon May 07, 2012 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Weatherseal, ru, 134.74 in. lg (windshield glass)
Does that mean 13 1/2 inches?

No it doesn't. Read both filler/weatherseal listings on that page (321). The filler listed above the 134" one you have locked onto says 13" or so!

I am only trying to help here. Wink

Deadguy

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must not be seeing what you are seeing Wes. Matt, if you can measure left to right, I would greatly appreciate it.
www.danhenk.com
bluewatersailor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: WEATHERSEAL FOR M38A1 WINDSHIELD GLASS Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I just measured the filler strip on my 1952 M38A1 and it is 13". I also have a presently unmounted weatherseal that I purchased for the M38A1 from AJP several years ago. On this unmounted piece, the vertical groove for the filler strip is 12 3/4" long as measured from where it intersects the horizontal grooves for the filler strip. Don't go by the length of the filler strip as this is elastic. David
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

Your window shop must be trying to install the divider strip first. If everyone there will scratch their heads for a minute and read the manual instructions they'll see that the 134" seal is installed first, all the way around the frame, and the divider is installed last. 13" divider will fit between the 134" seal at top and bottom already installed in the frame. If they go brain dead on you and try to install divider first and plan on cutting the 134" seal in half then you are going to have to buy a new 134" seal.

Then the glass is installed on each side. then the filler (lock bead) is installed in the 134" seal and then the filler (lock bead) is installed in the center divider seal.

Tell them to read pages 247 thru 250 of TM 9-8015-2.

Deadguy

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the one I got from Kaiser-Willys is all one solid piece. The strip all the way around, and the divider. I'll call the windshield shop again tomorrow, but I just want to make sure I know what I'm talking about!
Is there supposed to be an exterior weatherseal that goes all the way around, and a separate piece that divides the two panes of glass? On the phone, the shop was saying something about how the gasket I have is supposed to sit in the frame, and then they install the glass, but that the gasket is too short for the frame. They have a single windshield full frame gasket that will work, but I don't want that, I want the correct split windshield one. The picture on the Kaiser-Willy's site looks like there are two gaskets, one long one, and one center one with a split. I only received the one with the split for the two windshields.

www.danhenk.com
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smaller one is the locking strip - a bead that fits into the big rubber piece to lock the glass in. It might already be installed.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's try a quality illustration!

Deadguy

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so maybe, the glass place doesn't have the outer strip, and that is why they think it's too small? Does the one piece glass only have one strip, and the two panel glass has an outer and inner?
www.danhenk.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: