Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38/A1 Horn
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38/A1 Horn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghoffmanpdx1970

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: M38/A1 Horn Reply with quote

Question about the horn. There's a wire that goes down the center of the steering shaft. What does this connect to at the bottom? Is there supposed to be a rod or something that goes inside, too? I'm asking for the guy that I'm buying my 53 from because he's working on 2 other M38/A1s. Thanks.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M38 and M38A1 both use a switch at the bottom of the steering gear box that is operated by a button in the center of the steering wheel that pushes a steel rod in the column down against the switch.

If your column has a wire running inside of it then it is a civilian jeep column.

lower part of the M38 & M38A1 steering column.

The pushrod is item QQ and it runs from the wheel button (Cap NN) down thru the cam tube S and the guide tube M and then pushes on the switch A.

Here is the civilian CJ column with the wire 25 runs thru cam tube 12 & guide tube 8 and hangs out the bottom of the steering gear box and plugs into the wire that runs up to the horn.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
ghoffmanpdx1970

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, good to know. Including the one I'm buying, he has a total of 3 that are in various States of disassembly. The one that he's taking the steering from is a DJ5 (I believe), and is moving it to a supposed M38A1. I'll pass the word to him.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The jeeps above use the old Ross steering gear. The DJ5 uses a much more modern Saginaw steering gear on left hand drive. I hope it's a left hand drive DJ he's taking the steering gear from. It uses a similar Ross for the right hand drive. The column and horn setup are also different from the M and CJ series in my last post.

The DJ column has a horn button that grounds the power coming thru a commutator (10) then a brush & wire assy (24) which is outside the column.

It uses this later model Ross gear box for Right hand drive mail jeeps.

It uses this entirely different Saginaw gear box for standard left hand drive.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
ghoffmanpdx1970

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize, I'm pretty much a noob on these. The steering he showed me was from an M38//A1 or CJ3A/B, as he showed me the one he took it off of. But, he says he's going to put it on the DJ5. Just wanted to know about what the wire connects to on the far end of the steering, and he showed me the new wire he got. So, I'll pass all this on to him.

Cant wait to be asking dumb questions for my own reasons Smile
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steering ratios vary dramatically between those model jeeps you just listed. There's an outfit in Alabama that sells DJ parts very reasonable. The Saginaw gear box is the best choice for that DJ5 he is working on.

Have him visit: http://www.postaljeep.net

ghoffmanpdx1970

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I get from you, the more nervous I get about potentially buying the M38A1 from him. He took the engine from the one I am thinking about getting and put it in another M38A1. He does have another engine for it, as well as the tranny and transfer case. My problem now is realizing how much swapping he has been/is doing between fairly incompatible units. He's asking $1200 for the body, frame and engine and tranny and transfer case. It is a roller. I didn't see much rust on it. Maybe I should either talk him down and get the F head I saw on ebay, or bag the idea os this one all together...
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All depends on the status of your wallet.

The best choice is always a complete running unit. Anytime you downsize your fund base to where you can only afford a basket case or a roller you will usually end up spending a lot more money then originally planned.

Anytime you find a yard full of jeeps, a guy without manuals swapping parts between them and the swaps are not always good choices you are opening pandora's box.

This does not mean you can't find a good deal in a basket case in a yard full of jeeps. It does mean you should take a very experienced jeep guy with you when you shop in one of those yards.

Post your location with your postings or add your location to your profile signature so it always shows. Then sharp jeep guys near you will often come forward and offer assistance to you.

ghoffmanpdx1970

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wesk,

Did as you suggested on my profile. I am in El Paso, TX. The only reasons I considered this from him are I've wanted one, I've seen people sell far worse stuff for much more, and I'm buying another car from him so he was giving me a "deal". I'll toss the idea around some more...
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd still consider the purchase just get a sharp jeep guy on board with you. I suppose you are not too close to this fellow?
http://www.vintagemilitarytrucks.com/

You can also visit the yard and takes a lot of closeup digitals of the roller and the engine you are considering and post them here to your photo album and we can review them and give you an idea what they are worth and what they will need.

Make sure that a title or bill of sale is in this deal with a serial number that matches the dash serial plate, the right rear fenderwell patent plate or the engine. Also post those serial numbers here as well. Also run that serial through Texas Motor Vehicles to make sure it is not already in use on another title before you buy.

ghoffmanpdx1970

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I'm not close at all. I'll see who I might be able to find around here that has more knowledge on these and would be able to give me a good, unbiased opinion.
timjuhl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: horn wire Reply with quote

To answer your original question, in the CJ the wire run thru the steering column is the horn's ground wire. Pushing the horn button grounds the wire and completes the circuit.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Tim,

I think this was his original question:
Quote:
What does this connect to at the bottom?

Wink Wink

ghoffmanpdx1970

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

Thank you, also. I will pass on all the good info and diagrams when I go to look at it again to take pics to post to aid in my decision makng.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: