Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Steering gear question.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steering gear question.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
army_inc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Steering gear question. Reply with quote

I've looked over the Manuals, and it says to remove the cover, then remove the lever shaft, loosen the jacket tube clamp, take tube off, then the manual says you can pull the wheel tube (splined or keyed, which mine is splined) out of the gear box.

Here's my question. I'm at the point where I can "pull" the wheel tube out, but it really isn't moving. I can get it to move probably about a quarter of an inch, but then it won't budge. Am I doing something wrong? Is that splined into the cam and maybe that's why it's so hard to take out? What am I missing here?

I also believe I have a CJ5 steering gear that is in the same boat, and I can't get that to move at all! I just need the tube out of the CJ 5 and put it on the A1. Everything else from the A1 seems serviceable besides the easily replaceable parts (bearings etc.).
jimm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having trouble understanding what parts you are referring to. What do you mean by "lever shaft" and "wheel tube"? Pitman arm shaft, and steering shaft?
As far as I know and can tell from the parts manuals, the M38A1 gear is constructed the same as the M38 gear, just a different ratio. The cam on the end of the steering shaft is welded to the shaft. You have to remove the upper housing from the main housing (three cap screws) to be able to pull the shaft assembly out. This is covered in Section II, Rebuild of Steering Gear in the M38 TM 9-8014B Power train, Body & Frame manual, page 155.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, perhaps this will help get everyone on the same page:

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
army_inc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimm wrote:
The cam on the end of the steering shaft is welded to the shaft. You have to remove the upper housing from the main housing (three cap screws) to be able to pull the shaft assembly out.

I'm at that point where I should be able to "pull" it out, but it will only move a quarter of an inch. I was looking in the ross steering gear manual when I looked up the technical names. I had my TM out in the garage though so I apologize on the confusion of names. I didn't think it would be all that hard to pull it out since everything was held in place by bolts but it won't budge. I don't want to break anything so does anyone have any suggestions?
Bretto

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember right there is a ring, probably 'N', that holds the bottom of the shaft in place. If I recall, when I took mine out, I had to push the shaft out with a little force to pop the end out of that retainer ring.
army_inc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to check on that ring this afternoon! There was so much sludge/oil in there that I could've easily missed it. So basically take that ring out and then I'll be good to go? Sounds good enough for me.

Would I be able to use the CJ5 steering shaft to replace the A1 shaft? THere are no more threads on my A1 shaft for the steering wheel nut to be attached. I have read how ratio's are different between different vehicles, but the CJ5 was the civy version of the A1 so I was wondering if it would work? Also, how exactly can I tell if it is a CJ5 steering gear? I was told that by the person I bought it from (I wanted the steering wheel and for $50 I couldn't go wrong), but how can I verify? Thanks guys for all of your help!
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you get the sector shaft out, you will remove the tube covering the shaft by loosen ing the clamp bolt and pulling it off (unless the bearing at the top of the steering shaft is rusted to the shaft). Then loosen the 3 cap bolts at the top of the housing. There is nothing else holding the worm (steering) shaft in the housing. The lower bearing is held together with a circlip, but will fit through the housing with a little work (and maybe a hands from a friend). It would be best to remove the whole steering gear from the jeep to rebuild it - will be a pain to replace the bushings (which is necessary for a rebuild) installed in the chassis.
'51 USMC M100 trailer, '54 M100 trailer, '90 M101a1 trailer
Http://wilfreeman.wordpress.com (M38a1 build blog)
http://m38a1usmc.wordpress.com (USMC M38a1 rebuild blog)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
army_inc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilfreeman wrote:
Once you get the sector shaft out, you will remove the tube covering the shaft by loosen ing the clamp bolt and pulling it off (unless the bearing at the top of the steering shaft is rusted to the shaft). Then loosen the 3 cap bolts at the top of the housing. There is nothing else holding the worm (steering) shaft in the housing. The lower bearing is held together with a circlip, but will fit through the housing with a little work (and maybe a hands from a friend). It would be best to remove the whole steering gear from the jeep to rebuild it - will be a pain to replace the bushings (which is necessary for a rebuild) installed in the chassis.

I've removed the covering, the 3 cap bolts from the top, the side covering, the shaft (Part XX, that fits into the cam and turns the pitman arm). It isn't budging. I'm going to have a friend help and hopefully with two people pulling, it will come out.

The steering gear is removed from the chassis. It would be a pain to rebuild while still installed.

Any thoughts on using the CJ5 steering/worm shaft on the A1 steering box? Thanks.
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, ok - yeah, definitely easier out of the vehicle. The only thing that could be holding it in might be the lower bearing being rusted in place? If you are getting about 1/4"of movement, that could just be the slop in the bearings - the races could be rusted in place. With that being said, can you see the races moving - they aren't a press fit, just a slip fit. If the races aren't moving, you might be able to spray some pb blaster or something and figure out a way to jar it loose. Just some thoughts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
army_inc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. It's got to be the bottom bearing then. The top one moves and starts coming out. The bottom one on the other hand.... not so much. I'll give the PB or Slikroil (I think that's how it's spelled) a try and see if that helps! THanks!
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, if it isn't moving, thats prob your culprit, because there just isn't anything else there to hold it in.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide to knock it out, invest in a set of brass drifts.

For info on substitution here are the part numbers:

M38 Early Tube&Cam 801712
M38 Late Tube&Cam 804388
M38 Both Tube 801713 RG# 089041-36 1/2
M38 Both Cam 644833 RG# TA123001
M38A1 Shaft Assy 807480 RG# 9472-42 3/8
CJ3A,
CJ3B'CJ5/6 Shaft Assy 647693

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dave,
I just remembered that a put some pics of my steering gear rebuild on my blog when I did mine. Here is the link:
http://wilfreeman.wordpress.com/2012/11/08/steering-gear-is-almost-done/
There's a couple more pages with steering gear stuff on there too. I'm getting ready to dive back into the steering shortly - I'm going to be rebuilding my bellcrank because I think the casting is worn. Still getting about 1/4"of play in it. I also have an NOS pitman arm to install.
army_inc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, Thanks for the part numbers. Thanks Will for sending your rebuild link. I'm going to use that in the near future to help me out as well! Now i just need to take some pictures and update my build thread! Are either of you going to Aberdeen this year? I wouldn't mind meeting some other members of the site to match a name with a face.
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to include some stuff that might be of some use to people on my blog. Hopefully, followers of it can learn something from my trial and error.

I'd love to go to Aberdeen, but it's a little far north for me. I just got back from a rally in Denton, NC this past weekend - pretty good time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: