Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - putting on finishing touches need a few things I can't find
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

putting on finishing touches need a few things I can't find

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texbillhs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: putting on finishing touches need a few things I can't find Reply with quote

looking for a bracket and some fasteners that I seem to have misplaced
- the Axe Handle Bracket (odd shaped U bolt thing), 2 Top Bow Thumb Screws (they are 3/8-16NC) and a Safety Strap Eye Bolt (it's a forged eye bolt) - also I am short 5 footmen and the side mirror body mount (I have the shaft the mirror).

Last edited by Texbillhs on Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bretto

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you are probably aware all that stuff can be had at your preferred vendor. As for the safety eye, Those weren't stock to the M38. I've seen them on MB/GPW's.
Texbillhs

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I can get them new - (pricy too) - I thought someone might have a junk box of little stuff. I have a stash of stuff for CJs and some leftovers for M38 and MB and whatnot. I'll make that ax handle thing before I pay tween $9 and $24. The restraint eyes were motor pool add-on on both WWII and later as I have been told. I am concerned about the old vets that hitch a ride in parades - I require seat belts and a passenger restraint web strap. I have also installed CJ steps to help getting in and out - yea I know it isn't correct!
evanso1975

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The restraint eyes were motor pool add-on on both WWII and later as I have been told.

My '51 M38 had the restraint eyes fitted too. No telling if the military fitted them, or a previous civilian owner; they were painted strata blue the same as the rest of the jeep, so I'm thinking the military probably installed them. Rather than filling the holes, I'll probably re-install them.

1951 US Air Force M38
1944 F-1 1/2-ton Airdrome Trailer
1940 C15 Chevrolet CMP 11-cab
1939 DKW KS200 Motorcycle
MVT # 19406
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a pair of eye bolts, nuts, and washers from my local hardware store to add those safety straps. I had existing holes in the dash that the bolts fit into.
Texbillhs

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the difference is the hardware ones aren't forged with a shoulder - you can get the forged ones from an industrial supplier - McMaster-Carr, but the quantity sold is prohibitive. I'll likely go the hardware store route until I go to a swap meet and find one.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the USAF every vehicle that was operated with a door open or removed had to have a safety strap across the door opening.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
jeeperjoe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, when was that? I was in USAF from 1972 till 1976 and we never had straps in ANY of our step vans or other flight line vehicles. In fact I never saw a safety strap in any vehicle. I also worked extensively with USAF from about 1967 till 1972 and never saw safety straps on any of the flight line vehicles (mostly step vans or trucks and no jeeps). But speed limit on the flight lines was 15 MPH and most areas on base were 25 MPH so that might be one reason that they didn't require safety straps. I helped restore an M38A1 to USAF specs in 1969 and we never installed safety straps in it but I wasn't the one making the decisions so I can't say for certain if it was right or wrong.

FWIW I worked around a Fla ANG unit A LOT from the late 50s until about 1967 and they were a transportation unit and had several Jeeps and none of them had safety straps.

To the OP. You can (could?) buy safety strap eye bolts from Piedmont Engineering that are virtually identical to the ones used in the bed of the M-series trucks for $4.01 (as of 1998). Their part number 190072710. It was on page 226 of their catalog. Piedmont Enginering Co., 401 W 32 St, Charlotte, NC (704) 372-3450.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1966 thru 1989 and I used the straps in just about every flightline bread van we used. I was SAC and MAC so maybe those were the only two MAJCOMs that cared for their folks safety!

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
jeeperjoe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes,

I suspect the command (SAC in your case) set the requirement for safety straps and not HQUSAF. Most of my time was on TAC bases but did spend time at Travis AFB (MAC) and at McCoy (SAC) and McDill (also SAC?) and don't remember seeing safety straps in use at either base. Also never saw or heard of anyone falling out of a Jeep or other open vehicle so that didn't seem to be a real problem. Besides ~20 years experience with various services I spent another 10+ as military contractor, mostly to USA MICOM.

I think one thing that most MV owner's fail to realize is that the services only sets some very basic requirement for vehicle markings, painting and auxiliary equipment and that every major command, base command, and/or unit frequently adds to or alters the requirements to suit their particular need. I'm sure that anyone that's every looked at very many former MVs realizes that virtually every one of them has some form of non-standard color, marking or equipment! It's one thing if someone wants to restore their vehicle look like it did when it came from the factory but everyone needs to realize that it probably didn't look that way once it got into service!
Texbillhs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right - and these guys that judge ought to take into account the military re-built a lot of vehicles - in fact an old sarg at the motor-pool where I was stationed liked the re-built stuff better then new issued vehicles. I heard a story about a displayed jeep that was gigged in judging for an OD frame - well friends, if it was re-built and a lot going to Korean and later to Vietnam were, they likely had OD frames. Almost all the trucks we had in Vietnam went through a re-build shop. I think most guys would like historical military vehicles to appear as they would look in service. And - add-ons, I can't tell you how many home-made chains and locks were on vehicles, since they aren't issued with key ignitions, and chain-link welded grills across the rear openings of contact trucks to keep the Vietnamese kids from jumping on the rear and cleaning it out of tools and parts as you drove through those villages (I was an army construction engineer - Long Bin).
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most judges do have a wee bit of common sense. The ones I have met would not gig an OD frame on any motor pool class jeep. They all would gig an OD frame on a Factory class M38. The class judging guide lines make this area quite clear. The Motor Pool class jeep can display any and all conditions, colors, markings and equipment that the restorer can produce documented evidence of useage for. Doesn't have to be a local unit or command message, reg or bulletin. Just a dated photo from the time period the restorer is representing with his jeep showing those colors, marking parts and etc being used.

whydahdvr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texbillhs:
We still do field expedient mods today. When I was in Iraq guys installed MP3 players to have music while we rolled around. We added cushions, coolers, just about anything that could make MRAPs and HMVEEs more comfortable.
jimm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And think of all the improvised IED repellent that got added to HMVEEs in IRAQ, and what that will do to motor pool class judging 50 years from now!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Wanted All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: