Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Fuel Fumes From Gas Tank
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel Fumes From Gas Tank

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmike

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Fuel Fumes From Gas Tank Reply with quote

After restoring the M38A1 and filling the gas tank, I notice a lot of gas fumes from sitting overnight in a pretty air tight garage. No gas leaking from anywhere and when I walk by the filler cap, the smell is stronger. How much should these tanks leak vapors? I have a new gasket on the cap but since these are open to the atmosphere caps under normal running condition, should I turn the cap to closed when storing in the garage? Would it make a difference?

I have my 56 Willys wagon in there too and between the two of them, I am beginning to worry about the garage winding up in another zip code.

Mike
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern unleaded gas stinks period. The same quantity of gas kept in the same tanks if it were early leaded gas would not smell so strong. Some caps are sealed and have a built in relief valve that pops around 2 PSI differential. These will not emit such a strong smell. Your A1 with the standard GI fording cap in the open position is venting 100% all the time and if you have the 54 & up vent system with only the small vent valve setting on top of the tank wiithout the tube running to the air cleaner this smell gets worse. What you could do is install a modern auto charcoal cannister and plumb a vent line from the fitting on the tank to the cannister and close the fording cap valve.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Bretto

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any possible tiny small leaks in the tank that may be just seeping out from underneath the tank and the tub that may be small enough to never drip?
madmike

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked and no leaks. I like the idea Wes posted but I will have to investigate further to get measurements for the proper size charcoal filter to fit somewhere on the body, preferably out of sight. If I recall, the charcoal canisters are rather large but there may be smaller ones for smaller cars. Thanks for the info to both of you.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: