Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Got it running again after a year and half...now it stutters
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got it running again after a year and half...now it stutters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linx310

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Got it running again after a year and half...now it stutters Reply with quote

Due to an unfortunate job situation I had to stop working on my M38A1 and even put it up forsale. Luckily my job situation corrected itself and I can keep my jeep.

Last night I got it running again after sitting for a year and a half.

Replaced the oil, drained the fuel tank, replaced fuel with fresh gas with seafoam in it, and charged the batteries.

It started up almost immediately.

The Good:
It idles great

The Bad:
It stutters and stumbles when I add throttle. If I pull the throttle hold out 2 or 3 clicks it stumbles and stutters. And if I push down on the accelerator is hesitates.

Since I was running out of daylight I tried a quick test, I removed the air hose that runs to the air oil bath filter and sprayed some carb cleaner to the air intake of the carb while it was stumbling. It instantly smooths out until the carb cleaner is consumed by the engine.

So does this sound like a clogged/dirt carb jet issue? Is it possible the gas sitting in the bowel for a year and half geled up clogging one of the jets?
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be the accelerator pump. Did you use ethanol free gas in it before it sat? You can pull the accelerator pump cover and check the diaphragm out for cracking with it on the Jeep. If it was sitting there that long with ethanol gas in it, chances are that it is gummed up and might need a rebuild. Good thing is that the kits aren't super expensive and are relatively easy to rebuild properly!
'51 USMC M100 trailer, '54 M100 trailer, '90 M101a1 trailer
Http://wilfreeman.wordpress.com (M38a1 build blog)
http://m38a1usmc.wordpress.com (USMC M38a1 rebuild blog)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
hillbilly21

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Got it running again after a year and half...now it stut Reply with quote

linx310 wrote:

So does this sound like a clogged/dirt carb jet issue? Is it possible the gas sitting in the bowel for a year and half geled up clogging one of the jets?

THAT WOULD BE MY GUESS I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MINE..STUCK IN SOME GOOD GAS ITS SMOOTHING OUT SLOWLY BUT AFTER TOMORROW IF IT DOESNT STRAIGHTEN OUT CARB IS COMING OFF AND GETTING CLEANED UP Wink
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either carb diaphragm can give you grief if they are deteriorating. But a lack of initial acceleration can also be the Distributor governor (mechanical advance) sticking. To check just pull the distributor cap and try to turn the rotor with your hand. It should rotate about 15 degrees in one direction and spring back on it's own,

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: