Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Front Leaf Spring Broken Inner Eye
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Front Leaf Spring Broken Inner Eye

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DocThrock

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Front Leaf Spring Broken Inner Eye Reply with quote

I came back from my buddy's farm and started hosing off the mud. Luckily I saw the situation below. Looks like perhaps a nylon type bushing disintegrated? I hope the spring isn't fubar. Is this what a stock leaf spring looks like at the back end? Anyone have an idea what bushing to get to replace the missing part? Of course I can take the bushing out of the other side and try to match it up (probably replace it anyway), but I thought someone surely would point me the right direction so I can do the work all in one session.

Last edited by DocThrock on Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bretto

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes. Stock springs have a military wrap. Does your 2nd leaf look broken at the eye? I wonder if your spring wore thin where the bushing sits and broke. Is the eye and bushing maybe still in the frame spring hanger (G)?

billybob

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: leaf spring bushings Reply with quote

You might want to check the other three. They are probably getting to that point also.
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that second leaf wrap is gone! I have determined that I need to check mine a few times a year, and almost every time, the front shackles are slightly loose! I know they are tightened down and lubed sufficiently, but they always loosen a little! Of course mine are on an 'a1.
'51 USMC M100 trailer, '54 M100 trailer, '90 M101a1 trailer
Http://wilfreeman.wordpress.com (M38a1 build blog)
http://m38a1usmc.wordpress.com (USMC M38a1 rebuild blog)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DocThrock

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you mention it, that inner leaf does appear to be broken/rusted off, doesn't it?! I felt the grease bolt and it didn't seem to have anything but perhaps the bushing around it, certainly not a loose loop of steel.

I have a used set of front springs coming. I was hesitant to get reproduction springs. Also, some websites seem to be listing a generic 10 pack spring that's one size fits all, and that doesn't appear to be the case?

Anyone have a source for NOS or exact fit quality reproduction? Read back through the forum and seems there's a serious quality/fit issues with most of them.
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just replaced my fronts with a pair of NOS that I found on Craigslist a couple of months ago - the guy didn't know what they fit, so I asked on here for the correct measurements - they were for my Jeep! There were 4 of them, all the same. I guess I lucked out on that. Now I am looking around for someone to trade a set of rears for the other 2 fronts I have. Just by replacing the fronts, the Jeep rides great!

Anyway, I can't remember which dealer sells "almost correct" new springs for $150 each. They are the correct leaf count and made in the US, but something isn't exact about them. Definitely don't buy Omix Ada replacements! Don't even buy the bushings (they are a LOOSE fit instead of press fit.[/u]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is Peter Debella that has the "correct" springs. Give him a call.
http://www.debellajeepparts.com/m38premier.htm

Since you have a pair of used springs coming, you can take them all apart and check for broken springs and change out the bad ones. If you have a spring repair facility near you, take them and get them rebuilt - probably cheaper when you look at shipping costs.
DocThrock

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilfreeman wrote:
I think it is Peter Debella that has the "correct" springs. Give him a call.
http://www.debellajeepparts.com/m38premier.htm

I did as you recommended hoping to find something better. DeBella said their leaf springs are "generic", so I'll pass.

We have a local truck spring shop that has a very good reputation. I'll be taking my best spring (whichever that one ends up being....) and the specs (I read them on here somewhere) and having them "refurbish" or duplicate parts/sets as needed.
DocThrock

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here's what I found when I removed the leaf spring. The bottom spring is the used replacement I have to massage, then install... once UPS finds my bushings and delivers them.

DocThrock

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love posting to my own posts.... Wink

Finally took my broken front leaf spring to my friendly truck spring shop. Girl behind the counter looked very confused, but was confident they could replace the broken eye leaf on my original 8 leaf spring, as well as replace the broken spring clamps and broken rebound clip on my used 10 leaf springs. I think she was confused because I had one 8 leaf spring and one 10 leaf spring... and of course I didn't use the correct terminology when describing the problem.

As I was handing over both springs, the owner walked in (guy in his late 40s). She said 51 Willys. He nodded and said the clamp and clip would be easy and they certainly could fabricate the leaf with the broken inner eye. Good news. He described exactly how the parts went together, describing the threaded shackle and all. Love it when someone knows their business.

Next I'll report back on the cost...
DocThrock

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spring shop has had my springs for a little over three hours. I get a call. OH NO. Usually quick calls are bad news. Or questions about how bizarre and hard to come by parts are, or ???

Nope. Both Springs done already. Yep. He had a "main" sitting on the shelf. He said he could have bent me a new one, but thought he'd have me some labor and just use old stock (don't know if it is new or used).

Pleasantly surprised. Only bad news (sorta) is they want to use a sort of rubber keeper and then "band" around it. He said functionally it probably would be better, but esthetically it wasn't the same.

Anyone out there had their springs "banded" instead of a more stock "rebound clip"?
RICKG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, sounds like you need to buy a powerball ticket today Laughing
Unless you are worried about authenticity I wouldn't let band vs clip
worry me. Sounds like you found a reputable/experienced spring shop.

When you p/u the springs you might take along your new bushings and
test fit them @ the shop just in case. Might save you a trip later.
DocThrock

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RICKG wrote:
Matt, sounds like you need to buy a powerball ticket today Laughing
Unless you are worried about authenticity I wouldn't let band vs clip
worry me. Sounds like you found a reputable/experienced spring shop.

When you p/u the springs you might take along your new bushings and
test fit them @ the shop just in case. Might save you a trip later.

Thanks Rick. Yes, the bushing is in my pocket. Wish I would have bought 4 instead of 2. I already put a new bushing in one of the new springs. Since I was able to get the original 8 leaf spring repaired, I'll have them put in the new bushing, then put that spring back on the Willys and call it good. I'll keep the 10 leaf springs for a spare pair.

I had to cut what was left of the old bushing out of the other spare 10 leaf spring that I have ready to install. I used a punch to start, then a 2.5 pound sledge and chiseled it out. Used the same 2.5 pound "press" to install the new bushing. Pretty easy, really. But I'll let the shop put the other one in.
DocThrock

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up the springs. $170 parts and labor.

The new main spring on the 8 leaf pack had a brass bushing in it, I didn't even ask if they put it in, or if it was already in there.

Evidently there is some difference between the 8 leaf (solid brass bushing) and the 10 leaf springs (rubberized bushing with inner and outer steel tubes)?

The banding looked crappy. But I wasn't going to mess with having it changed. If I really don't like the look, I can change my 8 packs out for the 10 packs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: