Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Distributor issue
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Distributor issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DFoley

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Distributor issue Reply with quote

I was driving my jeep this morning and while driving the engine simply turned off and would not start again. After a few trouble shooting checks, I concluded I have an electrical problem. I am getting current to the distributor, but not to the plugs. So I'm pretty sure there is a distributor issue. How can I test to discern whether the issue is due to a faulty coil or condenser. A new coil is ~$60 whereas a new condenser is only $10. The cap, rotor and points all look fine.
Thanks,
Dan
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point type ignitions have always had this troubleshooting issue. Condensers are cheaper to substitute a new one than purchase a condenser/capacitor tester.

On the other hand the age old troubleshooting sequence for point type ignitions has never changed and doesn't need any fancy analyzers.

There are adequate troubleshooting charts in both the TM 9-8012 (M38) and TM 9-8014 (M38A1/M170).

8012 start on page 72, Par 77 and you will quickly wind up at 77b(6) which sends you to Par 81a. You have already ascertained 24 volts available at the coil but you have not confirmed that current draw with the ignition switch on is normal. If you have a stock 24 volt electrical system the amp meter will show a slight discharge when you turn the ignition switch on. This will confirm current draw through the radio noise filter, the coil to the points. This would move you on to PAR 81b.

8014 starts you out on page 79 Par 81b(5) which then sends you to Par 84 on page 84.

In either case you can see that most of the troubleshooting can be done without test equipment. However anyone who wants to get his hands dirty on their jeep should always possess a digital VOM and a 24 volt test lamp.

Also review my photo album sub-album on Ignition Systems: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album119&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
WESTCOMVIC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Motor just stopped Reply with quote

You may have confirmed an electrical problem by now, but have a look at the FUEL situation.I spent a long while trying to figure out my M38A1s same problem. Seemed like the ignition was just shut off...no splutter or? Turned out to be a stuck float and it choked on the excess gas. Worth a look.
DFoley

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for everyone's help. Maybe not the most efficient, but definitely the easiest & cheapest. I decided to first replace the condenser and then if that didn't work replace the coil. Lucky for me a new condenser did the trick. She's back up running like a champ.
Thanks,
Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: