Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - MB/GPW/M38 Engine Alternative
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MB/GPW/M38 Engine Alternative
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject: MB/GPW/M38 Engine Alternative Reply with quote

I was watching the Captain America (first one) movie the other day after seeing the post by capescw and got to thinking about our old jeeps. An article in Military Vehicles magazine pointed out that our old jeeps, and all old military vehicles for that matter, are having a harder and harder time finding replacement parts or NOS. I know that there are a number of good companies offering high-quality repro parts; at some point our vehicles will almost entirely repro parts if we ever intend to use them for more than museum display.
Anyway, I started thinking about what kind of engine would be ideal to fit into a MB/GPW repro body IF someone wanted to build a new "old" jeep. You would need the frame, body, running gear, etc, etc. I thought a VW engine might be good, similar sized 4 cylinder, but am not sure. And then there's the transmission, front and rear differentials, etc.
Just curious. I thought if I ever won a big lottery take maybe I would do something like that but this is more an exercise in curiosity "what-if".
Thanks!
Texbillhs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to build a jeep. The only parts not available as repro are the engine, trans, transfer, axles and steering Ross box. And there are companies that sell rebuilt units and kits to rebuild. A well done restored engine if you have a core can set you back $6K and if you don't have a core add another $500. Frames and all the body parts, seats, radiators, springs, wiring harness and a host of other parts are being produced new.
artificer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ford Pinto/Mustang engines have been used.
The bell housing should mate up with the Jeep transmission quite easily as they used to with the Ford Falcon 6 cylinder by adding a simple 5/8"-3/4"? spacer plate between the tranny & bellhousing.
YOU CAN'T TROUBLESHOOT WHAT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best all around upgrade engine, the Buick V6, was adapted by Vic Hickey in the mid-60's for rock crawlers and open high plains racers. Then the Kaiser team went to Montana to see how Hickey did it and then Kaiser bought the 225 Dauntless V6 off of Buick and from about 1967 till 1971 or 73 in the Commando you could buy your new CJ5 or 6 from Kaiser with a V6 in it. This requires no grill cutting and no firewall cutting. You can buy brand new mount brackets from aftermarket sources and you can actually use any of the Buick rear wheel drive V6 engines from the 198 through the 252 Cu In. You can still buy new performance parts for these engines.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
jaycee

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have a m38 a1 i would look into a mitsubishi 4dr5,6 or seven a used in the j20 or j 50 series mitsu jeep. you will love it
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that Mitsu engine and it's parts readily available here in the US?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Xamon

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen, rather pricey, kits for Kubota diesel engines that are supposed to pretty much be a plug in.
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like what everyone is sharing relates to M38A1s and CJ's instead of MB/GPWs. I know those older ones are outside of our site's purview here but got to thinking. Once you start looking at a non-Willys engine I would imagine one should also look at alternative gear boxes, transmission, etc.
But the whole train of thought was really following up on something I was curious about - if you were going to make a "new" MB/GPW using repro bodies, parts, and a non-MB/GPW engine how would you go about doing that. Probably a question better asked on the G503 site but Wes and others here are a wealth of knowledge.
As I mentioned, just a thought exercise.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The V6 bolts in the MB/GPW just as easy. The simple answer is it all depends on where you are located, What's available in that area, what you wish to spend, what you wish to do with the jeep (to determine performance level needed) and who is going to do the work. 73 years of jeep has already taught us what works best for which of the above points and my experience over the last 44 years of working with jeeps is the Buick V-6 is the most easily adaptable with a serious increase in power that matches the original purpose of the jeep. That was combining off road driving with highway driving. The next best but requires more adapting in the Chevy 90 Degree V6 line. V-8's are overkill and overweight and tend to blow stock trannies, transfers and axles/driveshafts. Inline 6's require serious firewall and grill/radiator work. Modern 4 cylinders usually require high RPMs to put out the same torque an F-134 does.

Answer the 5 questions above and any web site that talks jeeps can give you a reasonable answer.

whydahdvr

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Thanks for the info. Doubt I'll ever get to do that but was wondering what might work.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well while you are wondering and you did start this thread, why not answer the 5 questions and give the troops here a shot?

Quote:

1 where you are located,
2 What's available in that area,
3 what you wish to spend,
4 what you wish to do with the jeep (to determine performance level needed) and
5 who is going to do the work.

whydahdvr

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure:
1 where you are located, - Boston, MA area
2 What's available in that area, - not sure, haven't looked
3 what you wish to spend, - not sure as I was more curious about what if's
4 what you wish to do with the jeep (to determine performance level needed) and - The objective would be to have a WWII looking period jeep to use as a daily or other driver, to have fun in, and to run around the woods as well as on Martha's Vineyard in the Summers.
5 who is going to do the work. - not sure but probably some myself, though more someone else. I have very little garage or working space - or tools, etc.

As I mentioned, I got to thinking about it for a few reasons. My neighbor has an original 1960's VW similar to the one he had stationed in Germany. I have a 1952 M38, mostly original, but am not comfortable taking it on long drives. I've always loved the WWII jeeps and with a family home on the water down long dirt roads I have wanted to get my M38 out there - and a "modern" MB/GPW would be a blast on the island. But seeing all the adverts for repro body tubs, parts, etc, the recent movies with the Hotchkiss and stand-in WWII jeeps/vehicles prompted me to wonder what if.
Hopefully my next home will have a lot more space and area to work my jeep over - and the other vehicles I have that I'm working on. My 1996 Chevrolet Tahoe truck always needs brake lines replaced after a Summer on Martha's Vineyard. I was given a 1986 Jaguar that needs a ton of work and I'm helping my father restore and maintain a 1964 Apollo (see last year's Concorso Italiano for their 50th Anniversary event). Not enough know-how, time, space, or equipment right now. But you never know..... Smile Thanks for the ideas and I'm curious what the results will be. Are repro frames and drivetrains, etc. made as well as the body tubs?
Thanks!
Xamon

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have been to the MD Juan site they make frames as well as bodies etc. they are not inexpensive. I am not sure if anyone else makes frames or not.
artificer

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could do some searching regarding Philippines Jeeps. MD Juan are not the only ones in the Jeep building business as anyone who had visited/lived in the Philippines would know.

They fit WW2 Jeep style bodies to most Japanese brand/sourced used small pickup trucks. I am not talking about Jeepneys but regular small MB/GPW copy Jeeps. There are some with stainless steel bodies.
Quote:
My 1996 Chevrolet Tahoe truck always needs brake lines replaced after a Summer on Martha's Vineyard.
Cunifer or cupro nickel brake lines is what you should be using instead of cheap China sourced steel lines.
Do a search on "cupro nickel brake lines"....
YOU CAN'T TROUBLESHOOT WHAT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND
skyjeep50

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, you could buy a new 2014 Jeep Wrangler, save the historic vehicle from getting cut up and have a modern vehicle you can take anywhere. And a warrenty to boot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: