Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - 2430
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: 2430 Reply with quote

I'm bumping this over from Thunderbird's original post from 2013, because I am having a difficult time reconciling the recommended paint with color photos and in hand samples of what appears to be 2430.

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=48206#48206

I have seen where Wes suggested adding color to AJP's late WWII Olive Drab or Gillespie's 23070, but doing off vehicle small parts repairs and replacements call for spray cans and one can't add color to a spray can.
And in the end, you do want those parts to match what will eventually be sprayed with a sprayer.

Could we take another swing at latest developments and suggestions for 2430?

Many thanks,
Brian[/img]
bl5211a

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i custom made my factory color as no one had correct color.. but its not cheap to custom make..
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many jeeps had assorted shades of 2430 on them. Instrument clusters came from the vendor already assembled and painted. These seldom matched the tubs that Willys painted. Tubs, tailgates, fenders, hoods, wheels and grills were painted separately and then stocked on the assembly line and installed as the jeep rolled down the line. Any jeep could end up with several parts that were painted on different days with different temps and mixing regimens. Chassis were painted assembled. If you plan on producing a quality factory class displayable restoration then plan on things not matching like a new Olds or Buick or Ford headed for the dealer lot.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Thunderbird712

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good example of what Wes is talking about is the pictures of an m38a1 getting crated. They are on the 13th page of the historical photos galleries.
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,
So here are some paint samples, right inside, lower panel brace.

You can see that nasty gray/blue, the greener shade (24087?) peeling under that, and the base coat appears to be 2430.

What is on the lower inside of the high beam switch is browner than the 24087, but I guess theoretically it COULD be 2430 in an unweathered, and maybe close to as applied shade. This stuff here is pretty washed out.

Brian
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually you only have two colors on the photo. 2430 are both the first layer at the metal and 2430 on top of that and the blue/gray stuff on top. I have said this several times in these posts. Willys painted the M38's per the contract which called for using the 2430 itself with flattener as the primer coat and then without flattener as the top coat. What you have in your photo starting at the bare metal is 2430 flattened, 2430 semi-gloss and then the odd blue/gray.

24087 is darker then the your second layer of paint.

When you find an OD M38 or M38A1 with a separate red or gray primer then you have a body or part that was stripped and repainted.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes/T-Bird,
I do remember seeing the post regarding using flat 2430 as a primer.

Satin and gloss added to flat paint will make it appear darker, and flattening a satin or gloss paint will lighten it. If wondering what a satin or gloss effect on a dull or flat paint would look like just wet a thumb and wipe it on there. It will dry quickly, but you'll get the idea. Used to do the same thing when wondering what a certain rock would look like polished. I did that to the darker 2430 in the pic above, and it turned darker still.

Lighting and surroundings can have a big effect also when looking at photos. I remember seeing a photo in the pages showing several different colors, 2430 and 24087, and a couple of variations, but one thing that was being pointed out was how the paint on the side of the vehicle appeared to be newer and darker, and more green. The vehicle was sitting facing away and to the slight left, and on a lawn.

So the greener and darker look very well could have been affected by the green background.

I like the look of the 2430 on T-Bird's frame, and have ordered a couple of rattle cans of 2430. Wish I had poured more thought into the matter as trying to rustle up a few more things in a hurry to fill the box and offset that shipping cost was a challenge!

I remembered I sanded the inner wheel wells looking for stencils as the fenders and side panels above the rear wheels have about 1/16" of black paint on them. The stencils are on the inner wheel wells, found under several layers of paint. I did also find red primer mixed in with the mess. If you 'd like to see a photo let me know.

Thanks for all of the help.

Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: