Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Just Ranting.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just Ranting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toyvo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Just Ranting. Reply with quote

While waiting on reply's to my first post I closed the deep water fording valve and removed the vent line form the valve cover allowing the crank case to vent to atmosphere. When starting the engine I found that no fuel was being pumped during startup to the carb. The tank has fuel but the pump is not pumping until you use starting fluid to run the engine, then you get fuel to the carb. Ok so the filter is clear (not stopped up) and I have fuel in the tank. Bad fuel pump would be my guess. Install new fuel pump and RUT ROW Scubby still no pressure. After a few phone calls I discover that the guy that repaired the vehicle had removed the pump. He stated to the owner that the fuel pump was coming apart. Coming apart? What the heck did he mean? I think he was referring the parts that fell off the pump when he removed it. You know THE SPACER!!! I have one coming from the part supplier. You have no idea what kind of grief that missing spacer caused me. I had concluded that the cam lobe that operates the fuel pump was worn out and because of a reasonably new engine overhaul we made a decision to install an electric pump. This lead to even further grief because all the aftermarket pumps are gravity feed. I could not get the pump mounted low enough to make it work so I changed the fuel tank to gravity feed by installing a fuel line at the drain hole on the tank. Boy that was a mistake the drain plug had been cross threaded by another guy some where down the road and the tank had to be repaired. The owner while ordering new gaskets for the tank got lucky and spoke with a guy that told us of the spacer. I can only hope that when I get the spacer I can finish this repair. Laughing
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M38 has a fuel filter inside the tank and a pickup tube in there as well. If that filter is clogged you will get little to no fuel. If the pickup tube has corroded and has pit holes in it whenever the fuel level in the tank gets below the height of the pit holes the pump will suck air. The 9/16" spacer is a must have to operate the pump lever on the cam. It is only needed with the military dual vacuum/fuel pump. The civvy single action pump does not use a spacer.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Toyvo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes this fuel issue is part of a domino effect. Some one before me replaced the tank and (I don't know why) but they hand made a plate with a straw that replaced the original filter and inlet tube. We have the original plate and parts coming from the parts place.
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubba strikes again!
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Toyvo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have know idea how fitting that comment is. I live in East Texas home of pine trees, beautiful southern girls and red neck men named Bubba! Very Happy
4x4M38

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have and will always know some Bubbas.

Many are good hearted, hard working men with good morals.

But some of their choices in this world..............
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Toyvo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold my beer!!! Y'all watch this!!! [But some of their choices in this world..............te] Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: