Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Hot water heater questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hot water heater questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hooligan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Hot water heater questions Reply with quote

At a yard sale yesterday I found a hot water heater. Just the heater unit itself, 2 wires, the switch and dash plate... So for 10$ I have it at home now. Motor works, doesn't leak, so after a little paint... I will have to find the bracketry to mount it...

The data plate on it says 24V but the motor is a 12v Motorcraft and the wiring seems to have an inline resistor. There were two wires in a bag along with the switch and dash plate. None of the wires were hooked to anything. The wire with the resistor does not have any aluminum tags. The other wire has three - 87, 106, 33.

Motorcraft is usually Ford, I think, and the first batch of Canadian M38A1's were built at the Ford plant in Windsor so maybe normal? And if normal, does anyone have a wiring diagram? Nobody at the yard sale knew anything about it...

Data plate

Resistor

Motor

Thanks
Warren
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of those I picked up cheap several years ago. Byron still manufactures automotive heaters.
http://bergstromstandardproducts.com/Products/Catalogues/KCS-Heater-Units.pdf
Granted you don't see that one anymore. I was in the Air Force for 22 years and we often used vehicles that came without heaters or needed to add a rear heater to them. The tool crib stocked several model aftermarket add on heaters.

Looks like whomever used it before simply replaced a burned out 24 V motor with a 12 V motor and added the inline resistor. That heater is not a M38 unit but it could be adapted for use in the M38 with a bit of work. If you are 24V in the M38 just use the resistor.

Would need to see an overall photo of the entire assy to be of any more help.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
hooligan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes. It's actually for an A1 CDN2 and "looks" like the right unit but you are most likely correct. Somebody converted to 12v and then removed the heater for maintenance, never putting it back.

I got to fill the dash hole with the correct switch and plate so it wasn't a complete loss Smile

Pictures (one's a bit blurry):

Warren
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the same unit I have but mine still has the 24 volt motor. Did you say it came from a M38A1 CDN2 or that you planned to put it in a M38A1 CDN2?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
bluewatersailor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: HOT WATER HEATER - INSTALLATION MANUAL Reply with quote

If you can't find it on this site (doubtful), I have scanned the 17 page installation manual. The folder is 2.4 mb. Let me know if you need it and I'll put it into DropBox. dwm
hooligan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, when I found it at the yard sale, it looked like the ones in the pictures I'd seen at various sites, so yes, assuming it worked, the plan was to put it in my CDN2, once I found the fender mount. Everything else, distribution box, etc., including the mounting holes in the fender, are already on the vehicle. So now I'm on the hunt for a low buck motor as well as the bracketry... A long term project Smile

Thanks bluewatersalior, I tracked down "TB-9-2855-43 Personel Hot-Water Heater Kit" last night... I appreciate the offer though...

Warren
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren, Did you download the copy on our Downloads Page?

I just looked at that again and now I see the resistor is actually for controlling the motor/fan speed. I also noticed the electric motor is not listed in the parts list.

hooligan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I didn't see it there. I found a 1956 version at archive.org... I'm looking at some cheap DC-DC convertor ideas to see if maybe I can get away with the 12v motor... No rush with out the bracket though... Plus the unit goes up on jack stands sometime in the next month... We got snowed on last night Sad

Warren
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: