Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Little help with the trailer receptacle wiring please!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Little help with the trailer receptacle wiring please!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deadguy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:22 am    Post subject: Little help with the trailer receptacle wiring please! Reply with quote

I'm installing the directionals, everything is good and goes to the right bulb except the trailer receptacle. I have the "J" pin on the trailer plug going to the "E" line from the distribution box. This supplies the right turn signal. I'm at a loss on which pin to connect to which wire for the left hand side turn signal, and if I need to connect any new lines with the installation of the new passenger side stoplight, and small blackout light. The wiring diagram I have is a bit unclear on this.

Marine core reinforced rear bumper, military transistorized turn signal upgrade, arctic heater, 11" drum brakes, 200L PTO winch, Huffy overdrive, deep water fording kit, RT 68 vehicle mounted radio, Trac Locs front and rear.
www.danhenk.com
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought we went completely through the wires for the right side lights in a previous thread. Confused

Try to get into the habit of including wire numbers with your comments.

Wire 22-460 = right turn and feeds both the right turn lamp and the trailer connector pin J from terminal E on the distribution box.

Wire 22-461 = left turn and feeds the left turn signal bulb and the trailer connector pin B from terminal K on the distribution box.

Wire 21 = originates at Pin H on the main lite switch and feeds the service (red) tail light in both tail lights and also connects to Pin E on the trailer connector.

Wire 24 = originates at pin E on main lite switch and feeds both rear BO tail lamp bulbs and also connects to Pin H, C and A on the trailer connector. This can be narrowed down to just the one pin you need depending on which of those three pins the trailer lamps use for BO tail but it's just as easy to jumper it to all three pins so it will work as it should for any type military trailer.

Wire 23 = originates at Pin N on main lite switch and feeds that little right side BO stop lamp and also connects to Pin F on the trailer connector.

Although the grounds are not shown on the drawing Pins L & D on the trailer connector are grounded to the jeep body.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Deadguy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes. We did, but not for the trailer receptacle. The way the guy that sold me the M38A1 had it set up, the J, H, and F wires were not connected to anything. All the rest feed into an existing harness he has. I connected the J to the J pin to the E terminal, and figured the F from the receptacle feeds into the little BO stop lamp. It looked like I needed to connect the B pin to the K terminal, I just wasn't sure. Now I need to track through the wiring to find out where it emerges. I guess I need to find where the C and A pin wires go, and splice the H into them.
Marine core reinforced rear bumper, military transistorized turn signal upgrade, arctic heater, 11" drum brakes, 200L PTO winch, Huffy overdrive, deep water fording kit, RT 68 vehicle mounted radio, Trac Locs front and rear.
www.danhenk.com
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your jeep will only have one wire #24 going from Pin E on the main light switch aft where it will split up with a wire going to each of the following: Left tail light BO bulb, right tail light BO bulb and to the trailer receptacle pins H, C & A.

I assume you do not have the original rear harness with the molded rubber wire junction block that originally divided these wires up so you will just have to trace them.

The three pins H, C & A are used for the same BO tail lamp purpose on trailers that have several different wiring arrangements for their BO tail lights. The trailer arrangements are of no concern to you. Concentrate on the receptacle wiring only not what happens later in the trailer's wiring harness.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Deadguy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually do have that little rubberized box. The original wiring was kept, with new wiring added right out of the 3 lever light switch and the trailer receptacle. This was then spliced into the existing harness. It looks like I will just have to backtrack the B pin from the trailer receptacle, and use a packard y connector to splice that into the K wire from the distribution box. I'll have to backtrack the C and A wires, which are hooked up, and splice the H into them as well, probably later down the line where they merge so I can use another packard y connector.
www.danhenk.com
4x4M38

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: changing connector pins Reply with quote

Is the trailer receptacle fitting and connector on the M38 the same fitting and connector that is mounted on the trailer just female pins in the rubber versus male in the trailer side?

In other words, can I remove the male pins in a trailer-mounted connector and replace them with female and use this on the back of the M38?

Thanks,
Brian
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. The center rubber molded pin holder is different male vs female. As are the ends of the cables different and not interchangeable. The M series trailer receptacle for the rear of the vehicle is extremely common and was used on just about all model M series trucks. You should have no trouble locating a NOS one from many of the vendors.

Saturn Surplus lists the receptacle for $22.50 & the hinged cover for $12.50.
http://www.saturnsurplus.com/electrical/wire.htm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: