Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M 38 rear cross member: Reproduction
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M 38 rear cross member: Reproduction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M Series Parts Supply & Service Review
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: M 38 rear cross member: Reproduction Reply with quote

Subject: Rear Cross Member: M38
Sold By: Midwest Military, Peter DeBella, Army Jeep Parts

Review
Shape/ Appearance:
very clean lines and correct angles

Fit to jeep:
The mounting holes are 1/2 inch diameter instead of 3/8 inch and the holes do not line up, they are close, but still require most to be redrilled. I understand the hole locations are hard to fit every jeep frame after they have been around for over 50 years, but the holes don't line up with others an inch away on the same frame rail.
The holes for the bumperettes and the other accessories are acceptable.

Summary:
I would say it is a good product. The holes to mount it to the frame need to be the correct 3/8 inch and closer to the proper location. Price was OK.

NOTE: There was an older version made by MD Juan that may still be around. That cross member had the wrong angles cut on the ends and was missing a few holes as well as the inside reinforcement piece. Ask which cross member they are selling before you buy.

Rating: 8 (1- 10: 10 is the highest)

Last edited by Ryan_Miller on Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
G740

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Crossmember Reply with quote

Our pattern was taken from one that was removed from an M38 frame. The hole sizes and locations are within .002". If someone has one that they can authenticate as truly original past what was used as the original pattern, I will change the design. This part was quality checked by two other individuals prior to production and were found to be spot on.
John
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Thanks for the comments. I put one on my jeep and helped a friend put one on his and we both had the same problems with the 1/2 inch holes that mount to the frame that should be 3/8 inch and the holes being offset.

The overall shape and dimensions are great and I feel it is an overall good product.
jeeper50

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one from MWM and look forward to installing it on my M606. Thanks for the heads up about the holes. It is truly overgauged and alot beefier than my original. I wish it wouldn't have been spot welded together before I could primer it, but I'll work around that.

In the land of the blind.... the one eyed man is king
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan, et al:
Perhaps you could make a paper template of the cross member and send it to Midwest Military to verify their accuracy? Might help for others down the road. Just a thought.
Still "enjoying" Fort McCoy, WI - I've been laid up for the better part of the last week and a half and for the next 5 days with post-appendicitis issues! Sheesh!
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

I hope you get back on your feet soon. I went through Camp Atterbury in the winter before my last deployment.

I like the cold more than hot weather.

I talked to John over the phone some about the rear cross member. I think the main reason for the larger holes is to give more room for variance in the frame. Frames can get a little tweaked over the years sometimes.
jeeper50

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too wish they would drill the attach holes for the frame 3/8" instead of 1/2"

I wondered why it came with 3/8" rivets and all frame attach holes are drilled 1/2". Now it looks like I'll have to send several more hours welding up the holes and redrilling new 3/8 holes for the frame. It's a good product that could be tweeked just abit to be a easy install.

FYI- it is easier for the Customer to be able to drill the holes larger to 1/2" if his frame needs it, than to weld/fill the 1/2" holes, then backdrill the modified crossmember.

jeeper50

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon a closer inspection of mounting holes in my frame they are 7/16" not the 3/8" that my eyeball told me. So I'll be buying some 7/16" rivets to fill the holes instead of the 3/8 that came with the crossmember.

Overall the bumper is a quality replacement for the price. I'm just going to manup and smash some rivets.

I used the rivets supplied with the crossmember.

Here's links to see how mine turned out;
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3176&highlight=rear+crossmember

http://z4.invisionfree.com/CJ3B_Bulletin_Board/index.php?showtopic=1060

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M Series Parts Supply & Service Review All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: