Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Testing Generator
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Testing Generator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Testing Generator Reply with quote

Wes, what TM covers the generator maintenance and testing? I may have to purchase one. I am trying to trouble shoot my generator on the bench with the printed instructions from your data files. The data is blurry, so I can't tell what voltage and current I should read after I get test rig hooked up. But first I need to put together a rig and I do not know what size variable resistor ( ohm's and wattage needed). Can you elaborate on that? The model number of the Autolight generator, best that I can tell is GHA-4802BUT.

I have experience trouble shooting industrial instrumentation/electrical etc. So I believe that I can do this with a little help. I tried to test the generators by hooking up +24volts to terminal "B" and neg. to the case to see if they would turn, but they didn't rotate.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TM 9-1825B at least 1952 or newer.

All the necessary pages are up on the site. Which one is blurred to you?

Do you have a test lead adapter set?

You spin generators by applying system voltage to the armature/battery terminal and then ground the case. If she spins then most likely the regulator is the problem.

I use a standard GI low voltage test set which has the load unit and the variable resister for the field built in. You can pick them up for under $100. Give Kevin a shout at Starr Electric.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes I wasn't connecting the voltage up correctly.
You say connect the Positive voltage to the armature. I am having trouble deciphering which terminal is the armature, would it be "A" or would it be "C" or would it be "A" & "C". the drawing on Figure 84 shows A & C connected together. Since I do not have this test rig setup or the test lead adapter set I am not sure where to put the positive voltage to make it turn.
Right now I just want to apply voltage to it while it is altogether on the bench to see if it turns like a motor.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motoring test of the generator

A&C together they carry the full armature load. B is for the field only and the sheel of the cable is the ground connection.

Take the entire generator cable assembly off the the voltage regulator. Take it to your electronics store or Radio Shack and get some male pins that will fit the female end of the cable (the end that was attached to the generator) preferably solder type pins. Now solder two pieces (about 3 ft) of quality well insulated 10 or 12 gage wire to the pins. Twist and solder the other two ends of these wires together and connect them to some sort of large alligator clip that will fit on your battery terminals. Now strap the generator to the table so it can't spin in reaction to the startup torque. Now insert the two pins in the generator pin sockets marked A & C. Connect the alligator clip end to the + terminal on your battery. Now take a regular jumper cable and clip one end of it to the - post of your battery. Now with a firm grip on the generator touch the other end of the jumper cable to the generator's housing. She should spin immediately. If she doesn't don't hoild the cables there long enough to generate any smoke.

Wes K

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This explanation makes it very simple to test the generator, I was trying the same thing, but did not connect A&C together. Maybe I was trying to go from B to ground... have slept since then. I think something for this weekend. If the generator is good then I may be able to figure out the regulator... Mine is NOT filled with goop to prevent repair.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: