Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Fuel Tank Question...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel Tank Question...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Fuel Tank Question... Reply with quote

Well folks, I have received my new MD Juan gas tank. It looks ok at first glance, but the slots for the Cap do not line up correctly to place the bars/tabs on the cap level with the ground, no big deal, but is incorrect. Also the sleeve/strainer will not go into the tank, I think this is due to them primering the fuel inlet inside...

I have not test fit it as of yet, my tank has fuel in it and do not want to mess with fuel today, it is HOT here in OKC.

My question is this, if all goes acceptable with the test fitting of the tank, should I coat the inside of the tank with a tank sealer as added insurance and longer life. My thoughts were to treat the inside of the tank with POR-15 treament for fuel tanks. Then paint the tank and mount the sender and filter/gas line fittings...

Your thoughts please...

Thanks
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you reviewed Ken Perkin's post on the fitting of his new MD Juan tank?

As for coating there are many choices. POR 15 is just the new guy on the block and gets a lot of unearned praise. There are products out there from companies that specialize in fuel storage systems. Since your tank is from the MD Juan collection then the metal will need help since they don't provide a chemical or electrcially bonded corrosion proofing for their steel.

I wish someone would start doing these tanks in aluminum.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes,

Where did Ken post his report...

I used POR-15 as a generic for coating the tank. It appears to be bare metal inside and I do not want to have to replace it soon.

I will get with the local shops and see what they recommend for the lining of the tank...
Bob_C
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you do, coat it with something.

I agree Wes - Aluminum would be nice but would be a freakin fortune. We bought a small sheet of Aluminum for our airplane, I forget the demensions, but it was the smallest Yarde Metals supplied - and it was somewhere around $400, I want to say? Just for a piece of bloody sheet metal.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
Your $400 quote would get you a 4' by 55' sheet of 2024T3 aircraft aluminum in .032 thickness which is the most commonly used aircraft skin thickness. (That's 220 sg ft at $1.81/sg.ft. or in a 4" roll it's $13.75/running ft. or $16.29 for 9 sg.ft.

4130 steel sheet in .032 is $4.72/sg.ft. or $42.50 for 9 sg. ft.

As you can see the aluminum is clearly a bargain over the steel.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: