Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - My m38 update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My m38 update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill_F

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:59 am    Post subject: My m38 update Reply with quote

Here are some pics of my m38 with its new floors, still need to finish up a few things before it can get paint.

More blue paint under the tool box, and still have not found green, what my camera makes look maybe a little green is just surface rust
m38olddog

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've been busy Bill! Looks solid now. I can especially relate to the new deck over the wheelwell. Mine has had so many different radios and such mounted that it looks a little like swiss cheese. It's always great to see that first coat of primer go on to tie it all together. Be sure and post another picture then. Smile

Dave
M38A1 2/55, MD81433, U.S. ARMY 2A3514
M100 Dunbar Kapple, ?/51, #15122
Bill_F

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopefully the first coat of paint goes on next week. Then I can start putting everything back together again.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's starting to shape up. Perhaps the USAF pulled the tub and dumped it in the stripper tank that we used for the aircraft engine cowlings washed her up and reshot her strata blue for the general! The motor pool used to come down to our aircraft washrack and dip their body pieces in our stripper vats in the 60's down south.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Bill_F

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be Wes but it still seems like a lot of work for anyone in the military to do.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a young SSgt. in the USAF I was the Crew Chief on a 2 star general's KC135. I don't want to launder the list of things we had to do that clearly went too far in front of the tax paying public. Trust me when I say a motor pool stripping a M38 tub for a classy repaint doesn't come close.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
I was just perusing some 1970's Army Motors mags and noticed that Sarafan and a few others were selling complete new factory replacement M38 and M38A1 tubs as well as complete factory floors. This would be another source for your blue paint in hidden areas. It is quite possible the jeep had a resto in the 1970's that included a tub replacement or complete floor replacement from one of these dealers. If that restorer was a USAF type he would have painted all the new stuff blue. That would make the earlier resto about 25 years old now and if kept in the north (salted roads) or coastal areas (salt) would account for the rust. Since very few folks build driver restos and keep them for 25 years it is also very possible they sold it to new owners who repainted it.

Ben has been working an interview with Willys employees who have in very clear terms stated they only recall OD M38's from 1950 thru 1952 so I am still inclined to rule out a factory blue paint job. They indicated it was well into M38A1 production before assorted delivery colors appeared.

Bill_F

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything could happen.

My jeep has not been worked on at all, been to busy to work on it and with gas prices the way they are it is to expensive to drive the 3 hours to work for 2 hours and then drive 3 hours back.

My brother is trying to get someone to paint it for me however, and hopefully that will happen soon.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
Sorry to hear that. There's no way you can get her closer to your place?

Bill_F

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not right now anyways. It is actually at my parents house taking up all there storage room. I dont think it will get finished for probably another two years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: