Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Overhauling of Brakes - M38A1 (1953)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Overhauling of Brakes - M38A1 (1953)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lentis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Overhauling of Brakes - M38A1 (1953) Reply with quote

I have finally got my electrical problem(s) solved....it took far too long and when I cranked it today the brakes were gone, soft pedal. I looked at the manual for checking the fluid in the master cylinder and it appears that the nut for removal and checking is below the steering mechanism.

QUESTIONS:

1) How is the best way to check the fluild levels?

2) The brakes in all likliehood need overhaul, how difficult of a task is this? Is there any special tool needed for removal of lugs, grease bearings, etc.

3) Is there a manual that shows how to do this step by step?

Any info would be appreciated.

Lentis Lee
Scottsville, Ky
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lentis,
All the info you seek is right there in your TM 9-8014 Operation and Organizational Maintenance Manual M38A1 & M170. All the brake stuff starts on page 275. Read it completely through first. Then go out to the jeep and walk yourself through each step with the manual. Jot down anything that isn't quite clear to you and then come back here and post your questions.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Lentis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes....I went through all three manuals on brakes (included the parts manual). Let me share the results:

1) My brake pedal goes all the way to the floor. Very little if any pressure exerted when depressing

2) In the troubleshooting section of the manual regarding this issue, it stated three main things:

a) check the fluid levels -----this I did it was maybe 1-2 ounces from top
b) bleed the lines -----I am not sure this is needed due to no mechanical operation being performed on the system...there is no leakage
c) check the brake shoes ---I am not going to do this since there is no upward pressure on the brake pedal, if it were bad brakes, I would get a grinding.....right?

Do I need to continue reading the manual or does the above suggest a new master cylinder is needed?

Thanks.
Lentis
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air can be induced into the brake system several ways. These leaks that let air in may not always leave a puddle of brake fluid as evidence of the leak.

This means start bleeding the system. From the wheel cylinder firthest from the master cylinder work your way back to the master cylinder. If you finally get a good pedal then whichever wheel cylinder bleeding yielded the inmproved pedal response is the culprit. Look for wet stains near it or it's plumbing. If the bottom of your jeep looks like it has been driven a lot then you must look very closely.

If after bleeding all four wheel cylinders you still do not have a good pedal then bleed the master cylinder at it's brake light switch port. If you now have a good pedal the problem is the master cylinder.

Master cylinders can become problems from corrosion, internal leakage past piston or check valves stuck open. The least you must do is a thorough cleaning, inspection and repair or the most you can do is replace the master cylinder.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Lentis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, will do as you suggested.

Lentis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: